Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

vaio desktop powers on but won't boot up

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 RealityEclipse1

RealityEclipse1

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:52 PM

Posted 05 April 2009 - 07:29 PM

I have a sony vaio pcvrz44g with xp media center. 2 days ago it turned itself off and I had to disconnect the power and reconnect in order to get it to boot again. While booting it went through its' normal start up routine all the way through the loading windows banner but then got stuck at a black screen. I restarted twice and it did the same thing. After those tries the third time I rebooted the working light came on, the fans turn on, but there are no beeps and it never starts to boot. None of the peripherals or the cd/dvd drives are getting power and I can't hear or feel the hard drive running. After pulling all the fans off and cleaning everything to make sure it wasn't an overheating issue I tried it again. same problem. The board will power on, the fans will run, but it never starts to boot the OS. no beeps and nothing ever makes it to the monitor. Is this more likely to be the motherboard or the hard drive? My guess is motherboard, or possibly ram since I've seen bad ram cause a computer to not boot before, but generally it does more than just turn on the fans when ram is the issue. Please help if you have any suggestions! Thank you.

Bryan

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,247 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:52 PM

Posted 05 April 2009 - 08:40 PM

My initial guess would always be...power supply...in such cases.

Until proven differently.

That means the current power supply works in a known good system...or I have replaced it (temporarily) with a known good PSU in the troubled system and the system still suffers the same symptoms.

Fans running, lights blinking, etc...are indications that a PSU works, but the real test is booting an actual system (IMO).

Louis

#3 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,755 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:52 PM

Posted 05 April 2009 - 09:09 PM

That would be my initial guess as well, if you have another PSU to swap out or another system to try that one in, do it, otherwise Dc3 has an instruction manual on how to test them. go here to read the instructions how to: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/198368/hp-a410n-power-supply-led-blinking/

picard5.jpg

Primary system: Motherboard: ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3, Processor: AMD Phenom II x4 945, Memory: 16 gigs of Patriot G2 DDR3 1600, Video: AMD Sapphire Nitro R9 380, Storage: 1 WD 500 gig HD, 1 Hitachi 500 gig HD, and Power supply: Coolermaster 750 watt, OS: Windows 10 64 bit. 

Media Center: Motherboard: Gigabyte mp61p-S3, Processor: AMD Athlon 64 x2 6000+, Memory: 6 gigs Patriot DDR2 800, Video: Gigabyte GeForce GT730, Storage: 500 gig Hitachi, PSU: Seasonic M1211 620W full modular, OS: Windows 10.

If I don't reply within 24 hours of your reply, feel free to send me a pm.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users