Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Codec errors in Windows Media Player 11

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 thislazylife

thislazylife

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:43 AM

Posted 05 April 2009 - 05:11 PM

Hey all. Thanks for reading. My problem is complicated, but I will try and make this the "Reader's Digest" version of what happened.
It all started when I was trying to load album art into my GoGear mp3 player. I downloaded some program called "Fix Files" which promised to aid me in my album art endeavors. So I ran Fix Files and the first thing it did was it went through my .wma files, song by song (which took about 4 hours), and, for want of better terminology, "recognized" it. After this long process, the program's "free trial" was up and now it wanted money. So I quickly removed the program. I was also messing around with Media Monkey (which I have since removed), all in an effort to get the stupid album art into my mp3 player. I really wish I'd left well enough alone.

ANYWAY, now when I try and play .wma files in Media Player 11 (or try to do anything with them in any program) I get the following error box "Windows media player cannot play this file. The player might not support the file type, or might not support the codec that was used to compress the file." I should mention that I do a lot of burning LP's onto my comp as well and save these as .wav files. These play just fine in WMP.

After much research I downloaded "Sherlock The Codec Detective" and ran it. It came back saying that one of my audio codecs is damaged. In the information box it says:

Codec Name: WMPlug
C:\Windows\wt\webdriver\4.1.1\wtwmplug.ax

Upon Googling the wt\webdriver et al stuff, I've learned that this is some sort of Malware. So I then, after more research, I followed some instructions on how to remove my audio codecs, which I've done. But now I'm stuck as I am unsure as to how to download/install the proper codecs for windows media player 11. Any suggestions/tips/advice? I know an option is to just remove media player and start all over again, including ripping my CD collection (which is vast) back into WMP, but who the hell wants to do that?

Any help would be greatly appreciated! I'll even send you a comp CD if I get it fixed!

Thank you!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Romeo29

Romeo29

Learning To Bleep

• Members
  • 3,194 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:43 AM

Posted 05 April 2009 - 10:36 PM

Download K-Lite Codec Pack : http://www.free-codecs.com/K_Lite_Codec_Pack_download.htm

#3 thislazylife

thislazylife
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:43 AM

Posted 06 April 2009 - 10:09 PM

I tried that and I'm still getting the same error response.

After downloading/installing K lite, I ran "Sherlock" and it seems that all codecs are working fine. That suspect WMplug is gone . . .

I'm betting it has something to do with that "Fix Files" program, which is still in my recycle box. I might try to reinstall it and see what I can do.

Thanks, Romeo, for the tip. Got any more? Anybody?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users