Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Problems when downlaoding SP3 for XP Home

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Wizard99

Wizard99

• Members
  • 46 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:00 AM

Posted 05 April 2009 - 03:51 PM

I have tried to update XP with Service Pack three on two seperate occasions. First time I tried from the icon in the system tray, but it failed. 2nd time I went to the windows update site, and downloaded "GVAP" first, then I downloaded the SP SP3 update, but on each occasion it failed when trying to install ADVAPI32.DLL

On both occassions, at the same time as the failure, Spyware Doctor blocked a threat, and in the log it gives the following information:

Trojan.TDSServ
Blocked attempting to access file
located at C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\HFXFF.TMP

This is the only virus that I can see (but I can see it numerous times), in the Spyware Doctor log over the past 2 or 3 days (There are also various adware cookies.... but they do not pose serious threats I guess).

I have run Dialafix (following instruction from ExtremeBoy), and tried again to download SP3, but had exactly the same result.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,553 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:00 PM

Posted 05 April 2009 - 06:52 PM

AumHa Forums Windows XP Service Pack 3 (SP3) Installation Guide - http://aumha.net/viewtopic.php?f=62&t=33296

Windows Xp Service Pack 3 (sp3) Information - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/146857/windows-xp-service-pack-3-sp3-information/

Louis

#3 Wizard99

Wizard99
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 46 posts
  •  

Posted 07 April 2009 - 01:12 AM

Thanks for the advice.
I disabled Spyware Doctor, but left AVG running, and have now succesfully downloaded SP3.
Regards

#4 OldGrumpyBastard

OldGrumpyBastard

• Members
  • 781 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:00 PM

Posted 07 April 2009 - 06:42 AM

Glad you got it fixed....Failure to disable "Anti-Virus" programs before installing SP3 seems to be a common problem...Following instructions to the letter always helps...LOL
Does this look like an OldGrumpyBastard or what?

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,553 posts
  •  

Posted 07 April 2009 - 01:45 PM

FWIW: I've never disabled my AV when downloading/installing SP3...and it worked out just fine :thumbsup:. But...if I had encountered a problem, I would have gone back to the basic instructions/suggestions.

Louis

#6 Wizard99

Wizard99
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 46 posts
  •  

Posted 08 April 2009 - 01:54 AM

MAny Thanks for all your help once again, at least with your help I now have an updated system.

If you need to close this topic off then thats great as the issue is now resolved.

#7 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,553 posts
  •  

Posted 08 April 2009 - 07:37 AM

The only real "closing" of threads here...occurs because they are either posted in the wrong forum...or they are inappropriate in the subject matter they broach.

Glad you solved it, happy computing :thumbsup:.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users