Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can access MSN cant access hotmail

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Vixen

Vixen

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:59 PM

Posted 16 June 2005 - 07:59 AM

Hi there, I seem to be unable to access hotmail from my home PC. I have been in contact with hotmail staff who have told me to change my browser settings (done) run spyware (done) delete cookies (done) I even deleted all temp internet files - but still no luck.
I have no trouble using msn messenger, just cant get into my mail. It works fine at work, so has to be something hiding on my pc. I have downloaded hijkakthis but dont actually know how to read it or even if it will help with the situation.. I was able to access yesterday by going through account services section, but I cant do that now. Any ideas??
My OS is winXp proff.
Vixen

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Starbuck

Starbuck

'r Brudiwr

• Malware Response Team
  • 4,146 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:59 AM

Posted 16 June 2005 - 09:10 AM

Have you tried to access your hotmail by going directly to www.hotmail.com, instead of trying to check it through messenger?
As far as Highjackthis goes.... Don't run this program and try changing anything yourself.
Changing and deleting things with this program can cause serious damage!!
The Highjackthis log has to be read by a very skilled person.
If you follow this link it will explain how to post a HJT log and get expert help.
Highjackthis Tutorial

Edited by Starbuck, 16 June 2005 - 09:52 AM.

BBPP6nz.png

#3 Wolfee

Wolfee

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:59 PM

Posted 16 June 2005 - 09:25 PM

Vixen, I had the same problem with IE. Try downloading a new browser like Fire Fox. I did and when I use FF I have no difficulty getting into my e-mail as well as being able to log in to sites. It's not a cure, just a work around.

Since I've been using firefox I've been so much more happier with it then IE

#4 Vixen

Vixen
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:59 PM

Posted 17 June 2005 - 04:43 AM

thanks guys ... somehow it let me access it today - I have no idea what is going on, but in answer to the question of have i tried the hotmail address - I have tried everywhich way I can think of to get in... its working for the moment, will post again if i get stuck. And thanks for the hijackthis info - how would i get it read anyway, just to see if i do have any unwanted guests tagging along?

#5 Starbuck

Starbuck

'r Brudiwr

• Malware Response Team
  • 4,146 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:59 AM

Posted 17 June 2005 - 04:55 AM

Hi Vixen
if you click the link i put in my previous message, it will explain everything you need to know about posting a HJT log.
I think it would be a good idea to post a log in the forum, just to make sure.
Hope everything works out ok for you.

BBPP6nz.png

#6 Papakid

Papakid

Guru at being a Newbie

• Malware Response Team
  • 6,522 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:59 PM

Posted 17 June 2005 - 10:30 AM

Hi Vixen,

I would just like to urge you to follow Starbuck and Wolfee's good advice and post a HijackThis log, even if the problem seems to have gone away. There is a lot of information in a log that will save us from having to figure out which questions to ask and you are most likely infected with something. It's best not to ignore it. For more info on how to post a log, also see this pinned topic:

How to submit a Hijackthis Log

Firefox is a good workaround when you're having problems with Internet Explorer (IE) and is a more secure browser. However, as Wolfee mentioned, it won't fix the underlying problem. And since IE is basically part of the operating system you're whole system could be infected. So it's always better to secure your system and IE, even if you eventually migrate over to using FireFox or any other alternative browser exclusively.

The fate of all mankind, I see

Is in the hands of fools

--King Crimson

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users