Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Explorer add-ons problem

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Yip-n-Yap

Yip-n-Yap

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:29 AM

Posted 05 April 2009 - 11:13 AM

I installed FireFox and now Internet Explorer won't start with add-ons. I've tried restarting the browser but it doesn't help. When I go to Internet options the enable add-ons isn't clickable.

Windows XP Home
FireFox 3.0.8
Internet Explorer 8

Thanks,
Yip-n-Yap

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 buttoni

buttoni

• Members
  • 267 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:29 AM

Posted 05 April 2009 - 03:58 PM

It's my understanding IE8 starts with all installed add-ons unless you have expressly opened it without them for diagnostic or other purposes via either 1) Start, All Programs, Accessories, System Tools, Internet Explorer 8 (No Add-ons), in which case it is supposed to only stay in that mode until you close down IE8. Or, 2) you have gone into Tools, Manage Add-Ons, and disabled them there, in which case they will stay disabled until you go back and reenable them there.

I just installed IE8 this week but only use for Windows XP updates. I too have FX installed and have it set as my default browser. But have tinkered around with IE8 just to see what it's like and have had no problems with add-ons not being there automatically. Have had no problems with having both browsers installed on WinXP Home SP3 either.

I found these two sites have answered all my questions re IE8. Check out the 5th FAQ the bottom: How do I Add/Remove Toolbars? and Add/Remove Add-Ons?

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/internet-...upport/faq.aspx

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/internet-...ur/default.aspx (click the Tour link and be sure to click the right arrows and check out all the screens. They pretty much explain all the features.

If all else fails, or no other helpers chime in on this thread with other suggestions, post your problem over on Windows IE8 newsgroup. Be prepared to wait awhile for a reply there, however.

http://www.microsoft.com/communities/newsg...1;=en&cr=us

Hope this helps.

Edited by buttoni, 05 April 2009 - 04:57 PM.

HP Pavilion desktop p6270z; 8 GB ram; Win7 Home Premium x64 bit; FX 4.0; DSL 2Wire modem/router; MVPS Hosts; Comodo FW 5.3(D+ & Sandbox enabled); MSSE; MBAM on demand.

#3 Yip-n-Yap

Yip-n-Yap
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:29 AM

Posted 07 April 2009 - 11:02 AM

Hello......thanks buttoni for the help.

Yip-n-Yap

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users