Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Memory upgrade results in disaster, Please help!

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 dmss

dmss

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:26 PM

Posted 05 April 2009 - 07:16 AM

My computer is an HP zd8000 laptop computer with Windows XP Media Center Edition.

I upgraded from 512 memory to 2g.
After starting windows, an arror occured, and windows said it had to be Autheticated...

1st, why would I have to authenticate a system I already have, just to add more memory!

2nd, I got a popup screen showing how to authenticate (with new memory), I called the number, the windows tech said the product number I gave was invalid! (25 characters later)
(Can't hardly understand the person, from india or somewhere in the middle-east)
The tech said I would have to re-install everything!
(Yeah, right! Lose all my programs and info!)

3rd, I called Best Buy to find out about my upgraded Windows XP Pro, but they don't keep records of my transaction.
That means the software I paid extra for is lost.
Basicly I'm scewed!

My question is, how can I authenticate my windows if everything is failing?
I can't access the internet because Internet explorer fails, email fails.

The last time I replaced the memory, everything in windows was shutting down (because of verification of windows authentication I suppose).

Can anybody help me?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,274 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:26 PM

Posted 05 April 2009 - 10:40 AM

Telephonic activation, http://support.microsoft.com/kb/307890 AND http://www.microsoft.com/licensing/existin...on-centers.aspx

Louis

#3 dmss

dmss
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:26 PM

Posted 06 April 2009 - 07:10 AM

Thanks for the links!

It didn't do me any good.

1) The foreigner I connect to on the phone is barely understandable (I have them repeat half of everything they say).
2) The Activation "wizard" is gone... every installed application fails! So I have now way to contact through the internet.
3) Support? So far I haven't found a toll-free number...
4) I'm sure as hell not paying for activation of something that should be free.

My conclusion is, to hell with a memory upgrade!
I will take the memory back!

I bought this zd8000 laptop and paid extra for XP Pro at Best Buy!
I bough the memory form Best Buy too!
Best Buy won't help!...

It's just utterly bleep'n ridiculous to have this much trouble upgrading the god damn memory!

Screw Microsoft...
I can't say anything else about what I will or won't do, because we now longer have the freedom of speech in the USA.
I will learn how to get even.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users