Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Won't shut down/Restart

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 blenny

blenny

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:21 AM

Posted 05 April 2009 - 05:49 AM

Love this forum and always thankful for the help here. Hopefully this is an easy one.

I was able to solve this issue by resetting the BIOS to defaults. That did the trick. Thx for looking.

Fresh install of Vista Premium/Ultimate and most everything seems to be running fine. I'm relatively new to Vista so I guess I'm unsure how to fix this issue.

When I shut down the PC (Start>Shutdown), the PC will indeed shut down. All system process/hardware shuts down. The problem is, when I restart the computer after this shutdown, it will not start up. That is, all of the hardware in the computer is running, but I can't get the welcome screen. I just get the monitor telling me it's on power savings mode. I can wait forever and nothing more will happen. If I then hit the restart button, then everything comes to life. It will bring me to the screen saying windows was not shut down properly then options for safe mode etc etc. I start windows "normally" from there.

I also noticed a similar problem in sleep/hibernation mode. If the computer went to sleep I was unable to wake it. I could hear the PC running but nothing would happen. I would have to hit the restart button in order to get things going again. I recently adjusted the power savings mode so the PC won't sleep.

Any ideas as to what I can check?

Many thanks!

Edited by blenny, 05 April 2009 - 09:39 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users