Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Help!

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Hermione Granger

Hermione Granger

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:03 AM

Posted 16 June 2005 - 06:18 AM

I dunno if this is in the right place, but I'm having trouble with my laptop, it keeps getting mega hot and occasionally decides to turn itself off. I know absolutely know nothing about computers, so please help me in simple language.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 pchartwell

pchartwell

• Members
  • 145 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:03 PM

Posted 16 June 2005 - 01:19 PM

You may have a cooling fan problem. If the laptop is still under warranty don't hesitate to call up the mfgr and see what they will do for it. It sounds like the turning itself off and the excessive heat are related and I have seen this sort of problem before. If your laptop has a diagnostics disk or test try and get it to run the power supply / fan tests sometime when it has been off (and is relatively cool) to see what it says.

Cheers

#3 computingelite

computingelite

• Members
  • 42 posts
  •  

Posted 16 June 2005 - 03:23 PM

Yeah I'd download some hardware monitoring software to test the temps of your components.

#4 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 16 June 2005 - 04:31 PM

You can download Everest Home Edition, freeware which will among other things give you the temps that the sensors in your computer are reporting.

Running hot can destroy your motherboard.

A laptop is more difficult than a desktop because it is more difficult to open it for access to clean it. Inoperative fans or blocked ventilation ports can be what is causing the high operating temperatures. Unless you are skilled, you may need a professional to physically clean the interior of your laptop or discern whether the fans are working properly or not.

#5 Rimmer

Rimmer

• Members
  • 2,159 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:03 PM

Posted 16 June 2005 - 08:15 PM

Here's a link for Everest:
Everest download
Temperatures, voltages and fan speeds are shown under Computer>Sensor.

You could try purchasing a can of compressed air from a computer or electronics shop and giving the laptop a good blast through all the ventilation holes. It might help.

Soltek QBIC, Pentium 4 3.0GHz, 512MB RAM, 200GB SATA HDD, ATI Radeon 9600XT 256MB, Netgear 54Mb/s WAP, ridiculously expensive Satellite Broadband
Windows XP Home SP2, Trend Micro Internet Security, Firefox, Thunderbird, AdAwareSE, Spybot S&D, SpywareBlaster, A-squared Free, Ewido Security Suite.

#6 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 16 June 2005 - 08:33 PM

One thing is certain - if you continue operating the computer while it is continually going into thermal shutdown will make you a prospect for a new laptop in short order.

Get it fixed before it gives out.

#7 Rimmer

Rimmer

• Members
  • 2,159 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:03 PM

Posted 17 June 2005 - 03:05 AM

Can't you just wave your wand and say "Computus Refrigirandum!" Miss Granger? :thumbsup:

Soltek QBIC, Pentium 4 3.0GHz, 512MB RAM, 200GB SATA HDD, ATI Radeon 9600XT 256MB, Netgear 54Mb/s WAP, ridiculously expensive Satellite Broadband
Windows XP Home SP2, Trend Micro Internet Security, Firefox, Thunderbird, AdAwareSE, Spybot S&D, SpywareBlaster, A-squared Free, Ewido Security Suite.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users