Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Microsoft Office Icons

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Izzy

Izzy

• Members
  • 1,375 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:23 PM

Posted 16 June 2005 - 06:10 AM

Posted Image
1995 Version
Posted Image
1997 Version
Posted Image
1998 Version
Posted Image
2000 / 2002 / XP Version
Posted Image
2003 Version

which version do you prefer?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Izzy

Izzy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,375 posts
  •  

Posted 16 June 2005 - 06:41 AM

Posted Image
oh i forgot about the Mac

Posted Image
don't what version this is

Posted Image
not sure of this either

#3 yano

yano

I can see what you post!

• Members
  • 6,469 posts
  •  

Posted 16 June 2005 - 09:00 AM

Personally I've only used Office XP at home I like those icons, however I don't use it anymore. But I would vote for the Office XP icons, cause I'm use to it, however the Office 2003 looks a little futuristic, however that is all MS is worried about. How good there product looks, not what it can do.

#4 Starbuck

Starbuck

'r Brudiwr

• Malware Response Team
  • 4,150 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:23 PM

Posted 16 June 2005 - 09:16 AM

I have used all these versions except for 1998, i skipped that and went straight to 2000.
On the question of icons... i think that the 97 version looked much better.
The later ones look a bit ordinary.

BBPP6nz.png

#5 jgweed

jgweed

• Members
  • 28,473 posts
  •  

Posted 16 June 2005 - 11:50 AM

If Icons are to tell a story about the application, then 97 or 98 are the best- - -More like traditional shapes and pictures on road signs and with the same purpose.
I have a lot of icons in my quick launch bar, and almost none have any indication about what the application does. I am afraid making an icon is a lost art.
Regards,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#6 Izzy

Izzy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,375 posts
  •  

Posted 16 June 2005 - 04:03 PM

I certinly agree that MS has made Office 2003 for it looks and i think that is why a lot of buys stayed with Office 2000 or XP. It certainly doesn't doesn't matter what it looks like. I personally have used Office 97, 2000, XP & 2003. I prefer 2000 & XP out of them. 2003 ver does pretty much nothin new for a average user expet that it looks like an ocean when you have iton the defult XP theme. It is good to know others opinions about things. I like the Office 2000/XP icons they are very similar and basic. the old were ok, the 2003 ones are a lolly look or in other words "KIDZ STYLE".

#7 Philip Brampton

Philip Brampton

• Members
  • 372 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:23 PM

Posted 17 June 2005 - 02:16 AM

John.
Interesting you should bring up the question of icons.By the way i prefer 2000/xp.
The little annoyance that i have with icons is that the icons on my desktop are well defined,sharp and clear as you would expect.The icons in my office short cut bar do not match the quality of those on my desktop.It is only the icons in the short cut bar that are effected,if i move the task bar to the same position as the office bar the icons are sharp and clear,so the problem is not connected with resolution.I have also tried moving the office bar to another position,the icons are still not sharp.I have also tried reinstalling office but the problem remains.
If any member has any thoughts on the subject,i would love to hear them.
Regards.

#8 Izzy

Izzy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,375 posts
  •  

Posted 17 June 2005 - 04:15 AM

DO you really need the Office Shortcut Bar? Windows has quick Laucch on the Taskbar and yes it can get a little crowded after a while especially if you don't have a wide screen monitor. I would love a wide screen on but a little exspensive. Or you can use the start menu and pin them there.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users