Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Vista won't boot after an automatic update was performed

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 mathias_s

mathias_s

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:30 PM

Posted 05 April 2009 - 01:04 AM

To start thanks for reading my final attempt for help.

I've got an HP laptop that came with Vista, without the discs of course. Set to do the automatic updates, and it just went through doing one the other night. (Service pack 1 I think) After installing, when it went to reboot, Vista didn't load and instead it went to a screen saying corrupt file can't start windows, insert Vista disc and reboot. So I'm thinking would be nice if they had given me the discs.

I look online for awhile, came across some iso files on the Neosmart Site Since I don't know what version of Vista I'm running I thought I'd try both version files that they have. Both loaded up, but then when getting to the screen to do a system restore it would say this was not version for what my laptop was running, and wouldn't go any further.

So I decided to shell out the cash and purchased the HP recovery discs from Future Shop, where I bought the laptop. This loaded up fine, but in attempting to do the system restore it showed that there were no restore points to go back to, which I don't understand as I thought the default was to automatically create restore points on a regular basis. As a result my only option from these discs would be to do a full recover, meaning I lose everything on the laptop and of course I have nothing backed up and don't want to do this.

I also tried F11/F8 as I read about that on other sites, but nothing happens.

Does anyone have any ideas I can try? Maybe this has happened to you and you've got a perfect solution? Thanks!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:30 PM

Posted 05 April 2009 - 10:55 AM

You could use any version of Linux in a LIVE CD format or an Ultimate Boot CD to access and transfer your files:
http://www.ultimatebootcd.com/

You could also purchase an external hard drive case and attach it to another computer and save your stuff that way
http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?...N82E16817816003

Edited by garmanma, 05 April 2009 - 10:56 AM.

Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users