Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Hard Drive Errors

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Unique666

Unique666

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:36 PM

Posted 04 April 2009 - 11:44 PM

Here are the repeated error messages that show up in event viewer:

svchost (1461) An attempt to write the file "D:\WINDOWS\system32\CatRoot2\tmp.edb" at offset 8192 (0x000000000000200) for 1048576 (0x00100000) bytes failed with system error 1117 (0x0000045d): "The request could not be performed because of an I/O device error". The write operation will fail with error -1022 (0xfffffc02). If this error persists then the file may be damaged and may need to be restored from a previous backup.

For more information, see Help and Support Center at
http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp

An error was detected on device \Device\Harddisk0\D during a paging operation.

The device, \Device\Ide\IdePort2, did not respond within the timeout period.

I also get "Delayed Write Failed" pop ups, a yellow triangle with an exclamation point in the middle in the tasktray (If I click it, it will crash the computer), and the computer will sometimes hang at POST's "detecting IDE devices". I also randomly get blue screens.

I've formatted and reinstalled Windows in the past, but it always leads to future hard drive problems.

What usually happens is:

1. I turn the PC on, and it works perfectly.
2. After many hours, I start getting "Delayed write failed" or a blue screen. (forced to restart using the button on the case)
3. The computer hangs on detecting IDE devices. (I do another couple of restarts)
4. The computer finally makes it past that point and hangs at the blue Windows XP loading bar or displays a message about OS not found press ctrl + alt + del. (more restarts)
5. Windows takes me to an option page, and I choose "Last known good". (computer still hangs but sometimes boots)
6. I get annoyed and come back 10 - 15 min later, and it magically works again.

So, what's the problem? Overheating hdd? Bad IDE/SATA controller? Bad hdd? Something else? If I format and reinstall Windows, it will just get corrupt again.

Edited by Unique666, 04 April 2009 - 11:49 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,755 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:36 AM

Posted 04 April 2009 - 11:49 PM

have you tried running hard drive diagnostic software on it? you can usually find these at the manufacturs website.

picard5.jpg

Primary system: Motherboard: ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3, Processor: AMD Phenom II x4 945, Memory: 16 gigs of Patriot G2 DDR3 1600, Video: AMD Sapphire Nitro R9 380, Storage: 1 WD 500 gig HD, 1 Hitachi 500 gig HD, and Power supply: Coolermaster 750 watt, OS: Windows 10 64 bit. 

Media Center: Motherboard: Gigabyte mp61p-S3, Processor: AMD Athlon 64 x2 6000+, Memory: 6 gigs Patriot DDR2 800, Video: Gigabyte GeForce GT730, Storage: 500 gig Hitachi, PSU: Seasonic M1211 620W full modular, OS: Windows 10.

If I don't reply within 24 hours of your reply, feel free to send me a pm.

#3 Unique666

Unique666
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:36 PM

Posted 04 April 2009 - 11:49 PM

have you tried running hard drive diagnostic software on it? you can usually find these at the manufactures website.

It passes S.M.A.R.T when the PC is working, but the problem is, I can't test it when the problem is occurring since the PC won't boot.

Edited by Unique666, 04 April 2009 - 11:53 PM.

#4 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,755 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:36 AM

Posted 05 April 2009 - 12:13 AM

the problem is indeed with the Hard drive. Try to do a total erase using a hard disk erasor like kill disk, and then reinstall the OS totally from scratch. If that doesn't work, then I think there might indeed be something wrong with the hard disk. I would also try another disk checking utility other then the S.M.A.R.T utility. its usually pretty good, but a second opinion is always good.

picard5.jpg

Primary system: Motherboard: ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3, Processor: AMD Phenom II x4 945, Memory: 16 gigs of Patriot G2 DDR3 1600, Video: AMD Sapphire Nitro R9 380, Storage: 1 WD 500 gig HD, 1 Hitachi 500 gig HD, and Power supply: Coolermaster 750 watt, OS: Windows 10 64 bit. 

Media Center: Motherboard: Gigabyte mp61p-S3, Processor: AMD Athlon 64 x2 6000+, Memory: 6 gigs Patriot DDR2 800, Video: Gigabyte GeForce GT730, Storage: 500 gig Hitachi, PSU: Seasonic M1211 620W full modular, OS: Windows 10.

If I don't reply within 24 hours of your reply, feel free to send me a pm.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users