Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

No Signal

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 ryeguy146

ryeguy146

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:22 PM

Posted 04 April 2009 - 11:42 PM

Okay, so I just installed a new video card because I burnt out my last one (7700 GT). My new one was a GeForce 9600 GSO. So, it's installed and was working at first, so I seem to have everything wired and seated properly. After I went to restart (no new changes to system since last boot), the computer started having problems. The monitor is completely blank, the power button usually glows solid green when the screen is receiving a signal, and now flashes slowly. This is normal activity for the monitor while my computer is off, not running. Everything else seems to be working, CDs spin up, fans whirring and lights are on, all signs that the computer is working, but no signal.

Sometimes, I can get the computer to turn on and work perfectly after fiddling with the seating and the cables, but won't boot the very next time, so the problem intermittently goes away, and once the computer IS up and running, everything works fine.

This made me think that the new GPU was seated improperly, but it's screwed down and held tight in it's PCIe slot, so I don't think that's it. It has all the power it needs from my 500W PSU, so I doubt that that's the problem (I could always be wrong though). The one thing that makes me wonder is that when I let the computer run without signal to the monitor, it makes the loading noises (whirring and clicking and whatnot) continuously, like a looped boot that never makes it to Windows.

My Monitor is a VGA and is using a DVI adaptor, but such a setup has always worked for me before. With no BIOS access and nothing else, I'm really not sure what to do. I'd think that the GPU is toast, but because it intermittently works, it can't be that.

Any ideas?

[EDIT]
Okay, I was wrong, my old (working) card doesn't work either except intermittently. I have no idea how to proceed.

Small change in the situation, perhaps some further information:

The intermittent that I mentioned occurs when I leave the computer turned off and unplugged for a time, or if I reset the BIOS. If I leave the computer off and unplugged, the BIOS is not reset (my preference), but on reboot or leaving the BIOS editing tool, the screen again goes blank and the computer whurrs and clicks along invisibly. This I can only accomplish with my old 7600GT video card, when I put in the new 9600, I can't get anything to work, even if I reset the BIOS. No beeps throughout the POST no matter what GPU I have installed, so nothing to go off of there.

If I let the computer boot normally (when the screen shows what's up), I end up freezing on the message: "Verifying DMI Pool Data." After some reading, I realize that this could be a bad situation. I managed to boot from CD quite easily and ran some diagnostics on a Boot CD that I have. I am not sure of the results, but so far all hardware tests have come back as healthy, so again, I've no idea what's going on.

My next idea is to reformat and reinstall Windows XP, if it lets me, though since I can boot from CD, I don't see why it wouldn't. But from there, would it boot? I just don't know.

I think I'm going to make a backup image of the C: drive and reformat and install tonight and see where that gets me.

Furthermore, I've read a bit from this webpage and learned a bit, but I don't think it helps. I have tried booting with no disks/floppies inserted, my BIOS is correct (I am almost positive), and when I scan my RAID array, it comes back clean with no errors reading or writing. I have my computer's boot order set and everything, I'm just not sure what to do. I have not yet tried to use fdisk /MBR yet, but I don't have a boot disk with that information on it, at least not specific to my system.

I also read a bit about burst capacitors on motherboards causing similar problems, but from the images I've seen of busted caps, mine look fine.

Any ideas?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,763 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:22 PM

Posted 04 April 2009 - 11:48 PM

what kind of amperage does that PSU have? the reason I ask, is you really cant look just at the wattage, you need to have the amperage as well. there should be a sticker on the side that displays all of them, look for the boxes that have +12v, and then a number with an a by them. those are your 12v rails and the number with the a by them is the amperage per 12v rail. how many 12v rails do you have and what amperage per rail? also make sure your bios is set to run the PCI_E card first.

picard5.jpg

Primary system: Motherboard: ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3, Processor: AMD Phenom II x4 945, Memory: 16 gigs of Patriot G2 DDR3 1600, Video: AMD Sapphire Nitro R9 380, Storage: 1 WD 500 gig HD, 1 Hitachi 500 gig HD, and Power supply: Coolermaster 750 watt, OS: Windows 10 64 bit. 

Media Center: Motherboard: Gigabyte mp61p-S3, Processor: AMD Athlon 64 x2 6000+, Memory: 6 gigs Patriot DDR2 800, Video: Gigabyte GeForce GT730, Storage: 500 gig Hitachi, PSU: Seasonic M1211 620W full modular, OS: Windows 10.

If I don't reply within 24 hours of your reply, feel free to send me a pm.

#3 ryeguy146

ryeguy146
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 05 April 2009 - 01:59 AM

I have two 12V rails that are each rated for 28A. My BIOS is certainly set to run PCI_E first, but thank you for the idea.

Also, I have pulled everything out of the case and am benchtesting the rig so that I can swap out the Motherboard when I get an alternative on Monday, if the problem isn't solved by now.

I managed to boot into Windows XP from HDD awhile back with my old 7600 GPU and attempted to do the same with periphrials plugged in (mouse, wireless adaptor, etc.) and was again presented with a blank screen on booting (no POST visible) and a flashing power button indicating that it's not receiving signal from the GPU. After taking everything out of the case, I'm still stuck with a blank monitor and no way to boot into anything.

One step forward and two steps back; the Waltz of Frustration.

#4 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,763 posts
  •  

Posted 06 April 2009 - 04:32 AM

are you sure that it was the video card that burned out? or that it was only the video card? its possible the x16 slot is fried as well.

picard5.jpg

Primary system: Motherboard: ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3, Processor: AMD Phenom II x4 945, Memory: 16 gigs of Patriot G2 DDR3 1600, Video: AMD Sapphire Nitro R9 380, Storage: 1 WD 500 gig HD, 1 Hitachi 500 gig HD, and Power supply: Coolermaster 750 watt, OS: Windows 10 64 bit. 

Media Center: Motherboard: Gigabyte mp61p-S3, Processor: AMD Athlon 64 x2 6000+, Memory: 6 gigs Patriot DDR2 800, Video: Gigabyte GeForce GT730, Storage: 500 gig Hitachi, PSU: Seasonic M1211 620W full modular, OS: Windows 10.

#5 ryeguy146

ryeguy146
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 08 April 2009 - 12:20 AM

I actually think that my mobo is now the problem. I know that my GPU burnt because I was running SLI suddenly, it didn't work. I popped the box and reverted to single GPU and tested each card; one worked, one didn't. I haven't found a suitable fix for the problem and am not sure if it was my CPU or Mobo that failed on me, but I'm replacing both as it is mostly worthless to try to find a replacement 939 socket mobo or cpu with decent speed at a decent price these days being as the socket has been phased out.

I have tested all of the power supply outlets with my multimeter and everything works out, so it's not that. IS there a way to test for mobo or cpu failure without replacing either with known working parts? If so, I don't know of it, but would be happy to learn.

Thanks for the suggestions and help, I doubt I'll have further problems with my new gear (I needed an upgrade anyway, I suppose). Later all!

#6 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,763 posts
  •  

Posted 08 April 2009 - 12:40 AM

im not sure, ive always swapped them out. Look closely over it for bad capacitors/burn marks, and you say its a SLI board? I assume you have tried a working card in the other x16 lane and see if that works?

picard5.jpg

#7 ryeguy146

ryeguy146
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 09 April 2009 - 11:58 PM

Tried and tried. No busted caps, so I don't think that was the problem. As for the x16 bus, I tried both. Previous to my "No Signal" problem, both lanes were working, though only one card remained in working order. It very well may be that my MoBo and/or CPU is still good somehow, but what am I going to do with 939 sockets? I received my new hardware today and everything works flawlessly. My new GPU (which produced no signal in the old Mobo) runs like a dream... so: yea! Again, I thank you for all the ideas.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users