Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer problem help !

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 dd22qq

dd22qq

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:31 AM

Posted 16 June 2005 - 06:06 AM

Someone asked me to reinstall their operating system for them, which I did (no genius there and all went smoothly).

However, I kinda stuffed up in that it used to do something which it no longer does.

This person uses their PC primarily for transferring pictures off of their camera and onto the desktop. They have a USB card reader thingy which they used to simply stick the camera's memory card into and Windows XP would immediately recognise that it had been inserted - and open a window to show the contents of the card automatically.

Now, I know the card reader is installed correctly, and operates properly thru Windows Explore/My Computer - files can be transferred to/from it without a hitch. But this person does not want to have to navigate to the card's contents manually - they want <b>Windows to recognise the card being inserted, and to open a window displaying the contents automatically</b>, just as it did before I played around with it.

It was not third party software, as I have spoken to the original guy who installed the card reader - even he can't remember what he did, and says it's some function of Windows somewhere.

Anyone know if it can be reconfigured?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 yano

yano

I can see what you post!

• Members
  • 6,469 posts
  •  

Posted 16 June 2005 - 08:46 AM

When you first installed the reader to Windows and inserted the card, didn't you get a pop-up menu asking you what you would like to do? If you did, you should have selected Windows Explorer (display the contents) and checked the little check mark box that says do this ever time.

If you want to get this pop-up again, try just reinsterting the card into the reader.

#3 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 16 June 2005 - 05:46 PM

If that doesn't work, delete it and reinstall it again.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users