Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Microsoft .NET Framework 1.1

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 phawgg

phawgg

Learning Daily

• Members
  • 4,543 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:29 AM

Posted 21 August 2004 - 03:00 PM

There are no doubt many people who will embrace this update as wonderful. Presently, I am not one of them. Would anyone care to take a stab at explanation... for the novice user?
patiently patrolling, plenty of persisant pests n' problems ...

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Guest_brunt_*

Guest_brunt_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 21 August 2004 - 03:20 PM

Sure phawgg, It is an update for the .net framework for window 2000, NT and XP

That good? :thumbsup:

#3 phawgg

phawgg

Learning Daily

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4,543 posts
  •  

Posted 21 August 2004 - 04:23 PM

That clears up question 1. Very good. Care to explain Microsoft .NET Framework for Windows 2000, NT & XP? Fell free to elaborate. :thumbsup:

#4 Guest_brunt_*

Guest_brunt_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 21 August 2004 - 04:28 PM

The Microsoft .NET Framework is a platform for building, deploying, and running Web Services and applications. It provides a highly productive, standards-based, multi-language environment for integrating existing investments with next-generation applications and services as well as the agility to solve the challenges of deployment and operation of Internet-scale applications. The .NET Framework consists of three main parts: the common language runtime, a hierarchical set of unified class libraries, and a componentized version of Active Server Pages called ASP.NET... You actually have it on your xp cd. You just have not installe dit yet!! If you slip your cd in and click add other program .net framework will be on that list..
That better?

#5 phawgg

phawgg

Learning Daily

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4,543 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:29 AM

Posted 21 August 2004 - 05:21 PM

platform  for building, deploying, and running Web Services and applications. It provides an environment for integrating existing  investments  with  next-generation  applications and services as well as  the agility to solve the challenges of  deployment and operation of  Internet-scale  applications.  It consists of three main parts: the  common language runtime,  a  hierarchical  set of  unified class  libraries, and a  componentized  version of  Active Server Pages  called ASP.NET...

You actually have it on your xp cd. You just have not installed it yet!!  If you slip your cd in and click add other program .net framework will be on that list..
That better?

Much better, Brunt. I took the liberty of editing the explanation. The italics indicate words that I have a little difficulty with. (maybe just what those words mean when they are put together the way they are)

Do you figure by not installing it, but updating it, I might have confused the OS sufficiently to have it lock me out of My Documents (even though I have full permissions) and set itself up as a user with a karate kickin' avatar waitin' for me to set even more passwords for it's special access priviledges?

I'd be happy to follow through with the OS requests that, with the exceedingly careful and thorough research into all the application and system events I've done, point to this program needing some attention IF ONLY I THOUGHT IT WOULD:
  • be helpful to me in some practical way
  • make anything I do or plan to do either easier to do or more secure doing
  • eventually provide me with next-generation understanding before I'm a grandfather
As I see it my options are to:
  • install it off my OS CD,
  • uninstall the update,
  • re-install the update...in some particular order OR
  • uninstall the update
  • fail to install it from my OS CD (and suffer the MS messages I'll probably get)
Do you agree?
:thumbsup:

Edited by phawgg, 21 August 2004 - 05:27 PM.

#6 Guest_brunt_*

Guest_brunt_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 21 August 2004 - 05:26 PM

it wont hurt some prgram need it to run! I have it installed even though I never use it but some proggy's need it!

#7 phawgg

phawgg

Learning Daily

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4,543 posts
  •  

Posted 21 August 2004 - 05:37 PM

Well good then. I think I may choose another system restore point closer to the OS installation to roll back to before I do it. Maybe just before that "recommended" update was done. Then I'll add programs from the disk. Then I'll get back to the slimming down SP2. I wont tell you the story of getting my 272.4 MB SP2 file into a folder on another drive...it sits there, waiting like a thief in the night or a pounding heart in my hand (which is what your avatar recently reminded me of) :thumbsup:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users