Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

New computer error

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
19 replies to this topic

#1 cranfan

cranfan

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:34 AM

Posted 04 April 2009 - 09:57 PM

I just finished setting up my new computer, a dell studio xps, when I tried to boot up the computer the only thing that happened was the numbers 0033 appeared at the bottom right of the screen. Is anyone familiar with this, I not even sure if its an error code. I've been trying to find the answer to it but haven't had any luck yet.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jgalty

jgalty

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 04 April 2009 - 10:08 PM

So do you even get passed the dell boot screen if so try hitting f8 or f12 and you should get a boot list. From there see if there is a dell diagnostics program if not then you would have gotten a disk with one on it. Boot to the disk and see if it comes back with an error code. If it does check out that error on the dell website.

#3 cranfan

cranfan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 18 April 2009 - 03:22 PM

I didn't get up to the boot screen the first and only thing that popped up was that code. I recently had a tech come out to check it. He installed a new motherboard, memory, video card and internal fan. When he booted the computer up again the same thing happened. I had thought it might have been and issue with my monitor. Initial I was using a vga cable with a dvi adapter. The I tried just a dvi cable. I also made sure the settings on my monitor weren't to high. Has anyone else ever run across this problem because 2 techs and 3 people at call center have never heard of this error message before.

Edited by cranfan, 18 April 2009 - 03:29 PM.

#4 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,111 posts
  •  

Posted 18 April 2009 - 08:16 PM

If you cant even get the computer to POST or get into the bios there is a problem with the components and or their compatibility, especially since a tech replaced them. There could be a problem with the HDD. However you are limited with what you can do since the computer is likely under warranty and if you open the case it could void your warranty.

Chad Mockensturm 

Systems and Network Engineer

Certified CompTia Network +, A +

#5 FrankOtheMountaiN

FrankOtheMountaiN

• Members
  • 514 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:34 AM

Posted 18 April 2009 - 08:30 PM

did you try a different monitor? Do you hear the hard drive chunking along making noise when our friend the 0033 is up there?

Frank O' The Mountain
Doing more stupid before 5AM than most people do all day.

#6 ktrains

ktrains

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:34 AM

Posted 02 June 2009 - 02:41 PM

I bought a Dell Studio XPS 440 in early April and I am having the same problem as cranfan. When I connect to my HDTV (Panasonic Viera) via the HDMI cable I get a black screen with the error code 0033 on the bottom right hand corner. When I connect with a DVI/VGA cable, everything is fine. I got a blu ray player built into the PC so I really need to be able to connect HDMI.

Dell techs have not been much help despite lots of phone calls. They checked the resolution settings in the video card, ran diagnostics and I changed the video card after they sent a replacement. No joy. Very frustrating :thumbsup:

Cranfan - did you find a solution to the problem?

#7 av_contractor

av_contractor

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  

Posted 22 July 2009 - 07:59 PM

i have a new xps also and have the same code. just spent 2hrs with tech support and they were no help

#8 notme23

notme23

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  

Posted 23 July 2009 - 08:06 AM

av_contractor...PM sent.

#9 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,748 posts
  •  

Posted 23 July 2009 - 12:47 PM

Is this sort of thing...why warranties exist?

Louis

#10 bdiez

bdiez

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  

Posted 29 July 2009 - 10:59 PM

I bought a Dell Studio XPS 440 in early April and I am having the same problem as cranfan. When I connect to my HDTV (Panasonic Viera) via the HDMI cable I get a black screen with the error code 0033 on the bottom right hand corner. When I connect with a DVI/VGA cable, everything is fine. I got a blu ray player built into the PC so I really need to be able to connect HDMI.

Dell techs have not been much help despite lots of phone calls. They checked the resolution settings in the video card, ran diagnostics and I changed the video card after they sent a replacement. No joy. Very frustrating :thumbsup:

Cranfan - did you find a solution to the problem?

That is very odd. I have the same TV (Panasonic Viera) and tried the same thing (HDMI connection).

Did you ever find an answer? I bought a Dell Studio XPS as well.

#11 jim97006

jim97006

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:34 PM

Posted 03 September 2009 - 08:13 PM

I have the same problem. I have Dell Studio XPS, and get error code 0033 at bottom right of screen when I have HDMI cable plugged in to Panasonic 58" Plasma TV and turn on the computer. This error happens immediately when I turn on the computer with the HDMI cable attached, but it only happens with the Panasonic. Using the HDMI cable with the Dell 24" screen works fine.

Possible Workaround

I found a way to make this work for me, though. If I unplug the HDMI cable from the TV before I turn on the computer, then wait a while for the computer to boot, then plug in the HDMI cable into the TV, it works. Another thing that worked for me is to plug the DVI into a VGA adapter and plug that into the TV. However, using the DVI to VGA connection will not allow me to get full 1920x1080 resolution.

If I can't get a bios update to fix the problem, then at least I have a workaround.

Regards,

Jim

#12 Kontract

Kontract

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 17 December 2009 - 03:06 AM

Sorry for bumping.

I also have a Dell XPS (435MT).
I have been troubled by endless problems, and the whole time I've had this exact "error" message.
Dell tech support told me that it's nothing more than a mere LCD initialization code. TBH I don't believe them one bit!
POST test doesn't seem to be successful because I get no beep on startup. Instead I get this error code 0033.
Somebody please chime in with some knowledge about what it means!

Could it be a faulty motherboard? I have tried everything. I've replaced my PSU twice (with better ones) and that did nothing.
Ive tested RAM countless times. Nothing is working. Just recently I lost over 2TB's worth of Data.
I won't get too into it, but If all my problems are related to this error code, then I will be very angry at dell for giving me such a lame answer.

TIA!! By the way, the problems are very intermittent. Sometimes it'll go for a long time with no problems.
I'm pretty confident that it's a mobo problem.

Edited by Kontract, 17 December 2009 - 03:08 AM.

#13 jim97006

jim97006

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 17 December 2009 - 04:21 AM

The problem for me was the bios. You need to update to version 1.1.3 dated 09/29/2009. This fixed the problem with my 58" Panasonic Plasma.

Go the the Dell support site and look for the drivers for the 435MT. You should find the following download under Bios.

Systems: Dell Studio XPS 435MT
Version: 1.1.3
Release Date: 09/25/2009

Fixes/Enhancements:
1. Fixed Panasonic TV can't show Dell Logo issue.

By the way, if you haven't upgraded to Windows 7, make sure you backup you computer before the upgrade. I didn't, and ended up returning the computer. Before the upgrade, the sound came through the optical port. After the upgrade, the sound came through the HDMI coming out of the video card (nice trick!). and no sound came out of the optical port. I didn't like that, so I reverted back to Vista. When I did that, the video kept resetting to 24 Hz refresh rate, and would not go back to the 60 Hz rate. The flicker on 24 Hz is enormous.

Good luck.

#14 Kontract

Kontract

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 17 December 2009 - 05:09 PM

Hi Jim,
I appreciate the tip, but I stay quite current with all updates. I've had 1.1.3 since it was released.
It didnt do anything for me whatsoever.
I am on Win7.
I'm not using HDMI, but DVI.
Finally I don't have a Panasonic TV, but an Asus monitor.

Anyone have any insight on how I could test the mobo? What should I do at this point?
Also, incase it proves useful, I replaced my video card with a GTX 260, and I replaced the rear vent fan, and upgraded the PSU (to work with the nvidia card)
In an attempt to fix my problems I even RMAd my video card and got a new PSU, but neither were the problem.

Edited by Kontract, 17 December 2009 - 05:10 PM.

#15 jim97006

jim97006

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 17 December 2009 - 07:18 PM

I'm not sure, but based on the discussions I've seen, 0033 appears to be a generic error for video card problems for this Dell.

I would try booting without a monitor connected. If you decide to try this, first turn off the computer, then unplug the computer and wait for the LED inside to PC turn off (you should be able to see the LED through the back grill, if I remember correctly). You can reconnect the monitor a few seconds after the bootup begins, just wait long enough to get past where you would normally see the 0033 error.

The reason I say to unplug the PC first is that the monitor information is sometimes stored in the PC, and just turning off the power without unplugging the PC uses the information from the last monitor connected. That might explain why the problem doesn't happen all the time for you. If it seemed to work for a long time then stopped, it may have been that the PC was using the stored monitor information that allowed it to boot up. Then the power was interrupted, maybe a short power outage or just unplugging power for a short time, and the monitor information was lost in the PC. If that happened, then it would try to use the connected monitor again and fail.

Here's a discussion of the problem that I was having in one of the Dell discussion groups.
http://en.community.dell.com/forums/t/19281990.aspx

In this discussion, there is a post from September 19: "We are working on a bios release that will have an updated HDMI table which should fix this issue. No ETA on release date.".

It looks like the fix they came up with may have corrected the problem for the original video card but not for the card you are using.

You might also find other ideas in the discussion that you could try, such as going to an earlier bios or trying to boot when a different monitor is connected.

Good luck.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users