Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

How do I get a video card for 256 color mode?

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Pookylinus

Pookylinus

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:24 AM

Posted 16 June 2005 - 03:49 AM

Now that I've reinstalled Windows 95, I'm trying to get the color quality to be at 256 color mode. (It's currently at 16 colors.) I've tried installing a Trident video card but it's still giving me only 16 colors. : ( I was trying to install that Everest thing to see what video card I have but nothing happened when I clicked on it.... Any advice? Thank you very much in advance!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Leurgy

Leurgy

Voted most likely

• Members
  • 3,831 posts
  •  

Posted 16 June 2005 - 05:35 AM

W95 had very litle support for hardware. Simply changing video cards won't help as you need to add the drivers for the card to enable all the features, such as the different resolutions. Perhaps Everest doesn't work with 95. Try using Belarc Advisor. It says it will work with 95. When you get the report, look under Display to see if your card is identified.

When the only tool you own is a hammer, every problem begins to resemble a nail. Abraham Maslo

**** We use our powers for good, not evil ****

Trying to remove your data from the web is like trying to remove pee from a swimming pool

#3 Pookylinus

Pookylinus
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 16 June 2005 - 02:02 PM

I don't have the internet on the computer I'm trying to get the 256 color mode on, so will Belarc Advisor not work on that computer then? But I tried installing it anyway, and when it's about 60% done with the analysis (Belarc Analysis of This Computer), the message "This program has performed an illegal operation and will be shut down" appears (Rundll 32 - what does that mean?). Do you have any further suggestions? : ) Thanks!

#4 Joshuacat

Joshuacat

01001010 01000011

• Members
  • 1,950 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:24 AM

Posted 16 June 2005 - 03:19 PM

These older OSes and detecting hardware were always a pain for me. Before, all the fancy utilities -Belarc and Everest -that tell you exactly what is in you computer, we use to have to take the cover off the computer, and write down any and all identifying #'s we could find on the card. After that, I would search the net for what I believed was the right driver, and pray that it worked. Plug N Pray... :thumbsup:

I think you are at that stage with your video card.

Are you comfortable working inside of the computer?

Static Electricity and computers

I shouldn't ask this...why did you install 95??...98 would be a better option for an older computer. I am sure it was the only thing you had a license for...

Good-luck.

Joshuacat
JC

#5 Pookylinus

Pookylinus
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 16 June 2005 - 04:04 PM

Unfortunately, I have very little knowledge of computers (I guess that's why I'm here asking all these questions! Heheh...), and wouldn't know how to work inside of the computer. Yup, I installed Windows 95 because that's the only thing I had a license for. My motherboard is an ASUS TXP4 Mainboard - does that help at all with my computer problems? Thank you!

#6 Leurgy

Leurgy

Voted most likely

• Members
  • 3,831 posts
  •  

Posted 16 June 2005 - 04:42 PM

The only reason Belarc won't work that I can think of is because 95 came with IE 4(?) and it may be too old. Although Belarc doesn't need the internet it does need Internet Explorer. What version of 95 do you have?

I'm going to assume this machine has a working CD drive and that you have a burner on another machine. Do you have a CD that came from AOL or any other ISP? You can often install IE from those. If you do that Belarc might work. You can also download and burn IE5.5 SP2 from here. Its 85MB so if your on dial up maybe go with the AOL CD and try for IE6.

Another option would be to go to Control Panel and run the Add New Hardware Wizard. When you have the chance, pick your device from a list and choose display adapters from the list and when it asks for drivers, point it to the 95 CD.

Asus doesn't seem to support that mobo anymore.

When the only tool you own is a hammer, every problem begins to resemble a nail. Abraham Maslo

Trying to remove your data from the web is like trying to remove pee from a swimming pool

#7 Rimmer

Rimmer

• Members
  • 2,159 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:24 PM

Posted 16 June 2005 - 08:33 PM

You said you installed the Trident card? So you have the skills to take it out again, read the number on the chip and put it back. Then do a google search for Trident <thecardnumber> driver. Look for a Win 95 compatible version and download that.
An example of a trident chip number is TVGA 9400.

If the download is a zip, unzip it (extract it) all to its own folder e.g. "VGAdriver" and from Control Panel>System>Device Manager>Display Adapter click on 'update driver' when it asks you to select a driver click the 'Have Disk' button and point it to the VGAdriver folder. That should be it.

UPDATE - there is a utility which will identify your trident chipset for you, look under Trident here: http://www.drivermuseum.com/files/drivers/vga_d.html
Looks like you could also get the driver there.

hth :thumbsup:

Soltek QBIC, Pentium 4 3.0GHz, 512MB RAM, 200GB SATA HDD, ATI Radeon 9600XT 256MB, Netgear 54Mb/s WAP, ridiculously expensive Satellite Broadband
Windows XP Home SP2, Trend Micro Internet Security, Firefox, Thunderbird, AdAwareSE, Spybot S&D, SpywareBlaster, A-squared Free, Ewido Security Suite.

#8 littlwolf36

littlwolf36

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 16 June 2005 - 11:31 PM

everest and belarc will not work with windows 95 and as for the trigent video card you installed windows 95 doesnt have the capacity to support the drivers for the card

#9 Pookylinus

Pookylinus
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 17 June 2005 - 03:33 AM

Judging from all the comments about things not being able to work on Windows 95 and especially taking the advice of Joshuacat, I decided to install Windows 98. After I did that, everything worked! I simply just changed the color quality to 256 colors!! A big thank you to all of you who helped me. THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU... : D

#10 Leurgy

Leurgy

Voted most likely

• Members
  • 3,831 posts
  •  

Posted 17 June 2005 - 05:56 AM

everest and belarc will not work with windows 95

System Requirements | EVEREST Home Edition
The EVEREST Home Edition diagnostics software virtually runs on all IBM PC compatible computers with 32 or 64 bits Microsoft Windows operating system installed. The software can be run directly from optical disc, but in such case, any configuration changes made in the Preferences of the software will be lost.

System requirements in detail:

Operating system:

Windows 95/98/Me
Windows NT4/2000
Windows XP
Windows XP x64 Edition
Windows Server 2003
Processor: 80486 or later

System memory : 32 MB or more

Required disk space to install : 10 MB

The Belarc Advisor builds a detailed profile of your installed software and hardware, including Microsoft Hotfixes, and displays the results in your Web browser. All of your PC profile information is kept private on your PC and is not sent to any web server.

Operating Systems: Runs on Windows 95/98/Me, NT 4, Windows 2000, XP and Windows Server 2003.
Browsers: Requires IE 3 or Netscape 3, and higher versions. Also runs on Opera, Mozilla, and Firefox.
File size: 818 KB.

I see I was wrong about IE. Don't know why it wouldn't install on Pookylinus' machine.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users