Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Hundred programs running at the same time

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 JanWillem

JanWillem

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:28 PM

Posted 16 June 2005 - 03:15 AM

Hi, I hope someone can help me with the following problem:

I visited some dubious sites, and now I think my machine caught a virus. When I started up next time, the machine went through normal procedures until Windows was started up. Then the machine got so slow that I could not even access "Start" Menu for example.
I hit Ctrl-Alt-Del showing the Task Manager with the following programs running:

Explorer (Not responding)
Popuder
Intmonp
<unknown>

It looked to me as if the last three programs (Popuder, Intmonp and <unknown>) were running a hundred times all together and at the same time. The task manager showed a long list of these three programs running. This might explain the slowness.

Anyway, I waited for something to happen, which did not. Finally, I terminated the "Explorer (Not responding)" program. That did not help either.

The machine still was busy (the mouse pointer showing a pointer and a hourglass) and I waited some more. After a couple of minutes, I got a messagebox in Windows 3.11 style (white with gray button) telling me of an error in Explorer and that Windows should be newly installed. I pressed OK and the machine went into stupor again: not refreshing the display, the message still showed on the display.
Finally, I hit the reset button on my machine. When starting up again, same thing happened.

Does anyone recognise this? Is there a solution for my problem? If this is a virus, how do I get to know which one it is?

My system description (rather an old computer):
System: Windows ME
Antivirus software: old (pre-2001)
Firewall: none
Internet-connection: dial-up, requires password (i.e. not automatically)

I hope to hear from you,

Kind regards,

Jan Willem

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:28 PM

Posted 16 June 2005 - 09:44 AM

Can you run these online virus scanners:
http://www.pandasoftware.com/activescan/
http://housecall.trendmicro.com/
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#3 JanWillem

JanWillem
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:28 PM

Posted 16 June 2005 - 09:54 AM

Tg1911, thanks for your reply.
However, my machine is not responsive, I can't even get to the Start Menu! (I'm working on another right now...) I will try to connect to the Internet and run your recommendations.
Do you have any other options I could try? Maybe I have to boot my computer in "Safe mode" or something like that? (It sounds safe...)

As I'm living in the Netherlands, now my work-day is over, but I'll check back tomorrow!

Anyway thanks!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users