Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

odd error with Norton Internet Security

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 darthskeptic

darthskeptic

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:32 PM

Posted 04 April 2009 - 05:19 PM

When I click on an icon for Norton Internet Security 2009 other than the one on the bottom toolbar I get the following message:

"C:\Program Files\Norton Internet Security\ Engine\ 16.5.0.135\uiStub.exe
The specified path does not exist. Check the path and then try again"

Is this a software problem or sign of an infection?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Papakid

Papakid

Guru at being a Newbie

• Malware Response Team
  • 6,608 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:32 PM

Posted 05 April 2009 - 09:59 AM

Could be either, but I doubt it's malware. The file name and the folder path is legitimate.

Check the path and then try again

That's what you should do. Where are the shortcuts/icons that don't work? I'll assume on your desktop. What about in your start menu? Right click on any shortcut that doesn't work and chose Properties. Then look in the Target field and make sure the filepath that you posted is correct. In other words, the drive letter at the beginning and the names of the folders in between the slashes must be the same and spelled correctly, along with the filename at the end of the path. If it's not the following it won't work:

"C:\Program Files\Norton Internet Security\ Engine\ 16.5.0.135\uiStub.exe"

Also it will need to be enclosed in double quotemarks--in your post you left the one off the end but I'm assuming that is a copy and paste error.

Another reason the shortcut won't work is if the file at the end of the path is not in the folder its supposed to be in--in this case 16.5.0.135 That looks like a version number. Have you installed a new version of Norton recently? If they have changed the folder they copy files to when the program is installed, such as a folder with the new version number, that would make sense as to why you have this problem. Or if you reinstalled and chose a different folder than the normal one to install to.

As long as your System Tray icon works correctly then you don't have much to worry about. Malware has not shut down Norton, which protects itself pretty well.

There may be other possible explanations--I'm not a coder, but I think Stub may have something to do with intalling or initializing the program. Let me know when you've installed Norton or upgraded and how it goes with the shortcuts and then we'll go from there.

The thing about people

is they change

when they walk away.--Mipso

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users