Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Where do I get an XP CD install disc?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 pcfobe

pcfobe

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:41 PM

Posted 04 April 2009 - 03:21 PM

I started to read the tutorial "Slipstreaming Windows XP To Create a Bootable Windows XP CD or DVD" and got stuck on the first step.
The first step says to copy the entire contents of an XP CD to a folder on your computer but you can't use the OEM CD provided by the computer manufacturer. Where would I get an XP CD install disc?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 rosiesdad

rosiesdad

• Members
  • 220 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:41 PM

Posted 04 April 2009 - 03:58 PM

I did mine with a Dell re-installation disk. Works like a charm.
I think I used Nlite to slipstream, and the directions were pretty good.
Hey, try it, and you can always fail the first try. I think it took me a few tries to get it done.

Edited by rosiesdad, 04 April 2009 - 04:00 PM.

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,264 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:41 PM

Posted 04 April 2009 - 04:00 PM

From someone who does not have a system made by eMachines...Gateway...Compaq, etc.

Last time I checked the sales figures for XP, there were quite a few CDs which are floating around in the world.

Some of us even buy Microsoft XP install CDs...a simple copy of the correct version (XP Home or XP Pro) provides the basis for any effort to slipstream an XP install CD that will work properly.

You can use the valid license from your purchased system...to accomplish product activation with the slipstreamed CD.

In the event that you cannot find anyone with an MS install CD...I guess that won't be able to create a slipstreamed install CD. Recovery/restore disks issued by the aforementioned entities (Gateway, etc.) will not fill the bill.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users