Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

My computer is infected but I dont know what to do.

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 JustStyleIt

JustStyleIt

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:34 AM

Posted 04 April 2009 - 01:56 PM

First let me say Hello because I am new here.

I have windows xp home edition.My computer has been running slow but it got a little better since I installed Mc Afee's trial.First time I noticed something was terribly wrong when my computer internet connection has been shut down saying my proxy something something will not connect and the only thing that would allow it to connect is to restart my computer.I ran a computer clean up on mc afee but it only deleted a few things.Now while I search the internet on my computer.

My computer will not go to the exact link it would go to something completely different then the link that I searched for.For an example if I search for mc afee's website and clicked on it from yahoo some other type of site would show up.Now everytime I search on my computer I have to copy the link from my mouse pad instead of clicking on it directly from the search engine.And something odd happens every time I shut down my computer.It's running updates on the blue screen and telling me not to shut my computer down.I have never seen that before.Last but not least,If I go to bestbuy website.It only shows up links and not the best buy website design.Can someone help me please?

sorry I couldn't make a better topic title.

Edited by JustStyleIt, 04 April 2009 - 02:03 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JacobHall

JacobHall

• Members
  • 300 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:34 PM

Posted 04 April 2009 - 02:11 PM

Hey...

The Mods must be like sleeping lol

ill help you with first step

[url=https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/download/malwarebytes-anti-malware/] Click Here[url] to download MBAM

Run it and then run a quick scan

Post the results here and hopefully a moderator will help you out after thTat step

Regards
Jake

#3 JustStyleIt

JustStyleIt
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 04 April 2009 - 02:29 PM

Thank you.I am running a scan right now.

#4 JustStyleIt

JustStyleIt
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 04 April 2009 - 03:45 PM

Here is a gallery link of images with the results.Gallery
I couldnt copy and paste

Edited by JustStyleIt, 04 April 2009 - 03:47 PM.

#5 JustStyleIt

JustStyleIt
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 04 April 2009 - 08:54 PM

Ever since I ran the scan I have been unable to connect to the internet.It will not give me access on my main account.I had to recreate an account in order to gain access to the internet.My internet connection is working but my computer wont let me go to my browser at all.Giving me a proxy server error....

#6 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• Members
  • 10,317 posts
  •  

Posted 04 April 2009 - 10:21 PM

Let's see if a proxy server was set

In IE: Tools Menu -> Internet Options -> Connections Tab ->Lan Settings > uncheck "use a proxy server" or reconfigure the Proxy server again in case you have set it previously.
In Firefox in Tools Menu -> Options... -> Advanced Tab -> Network Tab -> "Settings" under Connection.

Please reply and report whether this worked or not.
Chewy

No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try.

#7 JustStyleIt

JustStyleIt
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 04 April 2009 - 11:25 PM

Okay Thank you.Now I can sign on to my account and used the internet but how do I keep this from happening again?I don't know how this got changed because I didn't touch it.

Is it odd that my computer is updating when its suppose to shut down on the blue screen?

#8 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• Members
  • 10,317 posts
  •  

Posted 04 April 2009 - 11:58 PM

You need to rerun MBAM after updating

It might take 2 or 3 passes with a few scanners, even that might not be enough

The infection set the proxy servers
Chewy

No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try.

#9 JustStyleIt

JustStyleIt
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 05 April 2009 - 01:52 PM

Thank you,I read another post that was given to me by my beau.My computer is fine now...I did all the steps.And I am no longer seeing updates,Pop ups and other stuff. I have the full version of McAfee and I have SuperAnti spyware/ATF cleaner plus what you just gave me.Did a new restore point. so now I am protected.

Edited by JustStyleIt, 05 April 2009 - 01:56 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users