Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

How do you connect to HotSpots with your laptop?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_CBN2xx_*

Guest_CBN2xx_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 16 June 2005 - 12:15 AM

Ummm... Hello...

I'm looking for some tutorial or explanation that will explain how to do that (assuming the service is free). I've got a laptop, now I need to buy some card, no? I'm clueless about this, can anyone give me some recommendations for that decent card? I'm on WinXP, BTW. Thanks.

Edited by CBN2xx, 16 June 2005 - 12:16 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 goldenc08

goldenc08

• Members
  • 47 posts
  •  

Posted 16 June 2005 - 10:42 AM

First you need a wifi card they get cheeper every week i saw them awhile ago at compusa for 10 dollers after rebate thats about it then just go to the hot spot and connect

#3 Guest_CBN2xx_*

Guest_CBN2xx_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 16 June 2005 - 02:28 PM

then just go to the hot spot and connect

But how exactly? That's the question - I'm a newbie at this. Could you explain in more detail, or link me to some guide?

Edited by CBN2xx, 16 June 2005 - 02:28 PM.

#4 pchartwell

pchartwell

• Members
  • 145 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:05 AM

Posted 16 June 2005 - 02:47 PM

your laptop may have an internal wireless adapter. look in network properties, adapters, and see if one is there; it will state that it is wireless if so (this would be in addition to a standard ethernet (wired) adapter).

In any event, when you have a wireless adapter for your computer chances are it will be telling you that there are wireless networks in range and if possible connecting you to them without much if any further input. Most places with a public hotspot will also have some sort of guide or instruction for any specific help needed with their particular hotspot.

But if you wanted to see it through manually you'd start by going into your network properties (network connections) and then getting properties for your wireless adapter. One of the tabs there should be for wireless networks and can inform you what is in range and do you want to connect to it. Alternately, you can disconnect from ones you're already connected to.

Sorry, I don't know of a guide off-hand.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users