Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can't delete file, can't delete folder

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Evil Prince

Evil Prince

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:35 PM

Posted 04 April 2009 - 11:04 AM

OK, here's the situation...

I had a folder which normally has some subfolders beneath it, say the structure is something like \..\uploaded\errors (the "\..\" is another folder or two). The folder structure was created by an app I use at work (It's only, maybe, 4 folders deep in total). By whatever demon, the folder structure now says something like:
"\..\uploaded\errors\uploaded\errors\uploaded\errors\uploaded\errors\uploaded\errors\.............\"
792 folders deep.
I have no idea how this occurred since there's little to no activity in these folders at any given time. For the moment I don't care why but nevertheless, I can't delete the folders at all (because they far exceed the 255 character Windows limit). In factthe folder structure goes so deep, that I can't even tell whether the structure ends at a file OR a folder since I can't "see" down that far. More criteria (note this is in NTFS and I have ownership and full rights of the entire structure):

-I do NOT get a "file is locked by another program" error
-I can't delete it from a command prompt
-I can't delete it in 8.3 mode
-I can't delete it in Safe Mode
-I can't delete it in Safe Mode with a command prompt
-I did run a virus scan in safe Mode on the folders but it comes up clean (assuming the scan saw that far down but it seemed to terminate properly)
-if I kill the the app that supports this file structure (and its ensuing mess), I still cannot delete the tree
-I changed the folder names to single character folder names but I still can't get passed more than about 200 visible folders or so
-I cut and pasted several multiple dozen folders from as far down as I can get and moved them up but it seems to just keep replicating at the bottom end
-I booted a Knoppix CD and I was able to navigate to the folders and attempt a delete but it just hung there for more than an hour
-I booted a Knoppix CD and went down more than 200 folders deep and attempt a delete but it just hung there for more than an hour

I looked around for solutions on the web ad nauseum to no avail. Any ideas?

Edited by Evil Prince, 04 April 2009 - 12:03 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Romeo29

Romeo29

Learning To Bleep

• BC Advisor
  • 3,194 posts
  •  

Posted 04 April 2009 - 11:58 AM

Have you tried Unlocker?

http://ccollomb.free.fr/unlocker/

Edited by Romeo29, 04 April 2009 - 11:59 AM.

#3 Evil Prince

Evil Prince
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 04 April 2009 - 12:01 PM

Tried unlocker. The file or folder isn't locked so it didn't work. Or it is and because of the folder depth, it couldn't do what I needed it to. Thanks...

Edited by Evil Prince, 04 April 2009 - 12:02 PM.

#4 Andrew

Andrew

Bleepin' Night Watchman

• 8,257 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:35 PM

Posted 04 April 2009 - 12:04 PM

How about Eraser?

#5 Evil Prince

Evil Prince
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 04 April 2009 - 01:25 PM

Didn't work but thanks anyhow.

#6 Evil Prince

Evil Prince
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 04 April 2009 - 01:32 PM

New twist:

I just manually changed a bunch of recursive folder names, i.e. ...\uploaded\errors\uploaded\errors\uploaded\errors\..., to single character folder names (via bulk renaming utility). The folder count at the top before renaming was 509. Now the count is 667. I'm thinking undetected virus. It seems to either just be replicating and/or some sizable (e.g. Googolplex) number of folders deep.

Edited by Evil Prince, 04 April 2009 - 01:35 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users