Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

avast setup.exe won't stop trying to setup!

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 mo-chan

mo-chan

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:39 AM

Posted 04 April 2009 - 09:37 AM

ok I am TOTALLY at a loss - almost even for words here - recently, I was going to try out Avast! 4.8, and so I installed it, decided I didn't like it, and so uninstalled it. Nice & normall, right? Oh, how wrong I was!!! Ever since then, every time I restart my computer, I get this dialog box - it's the Avast! 4.8 Setup Program, trying to setup again and again and again! The weird thing is, I don't know where it's getting its info from; I deleted the downloaded setup pkgquite some time ago, and have checked in the Program Files folder for a shell, nothing there.

The worst part about the situation is now I am constantly also getting errors in almost every other program on my system. Runtime errors; missing codecs that I KNOW for a fact are there and up to date, my taskbar suddenly vanishing. ohohoh pleasepleaseplease help me! it driving me utterly BATTY! No wait! I think it's actually FLYING me there!

Edit: Moved topic from XP to the more appropriate forum. ~ Animal

Edited by Animal, 04 April 2009 - 02:13 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 frankp316

frankp316

• Members
  • 2,677 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:39 PM

Posted 04 April 2009 - 11:34 AM

Generally speaking, all of the anti virus programs have uninstall tools that you have to use to get rid of them completely. So you might want to go to the Avast website.

#3 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:39 PM

Posted 04 April 2009 - 11:38 AM

avast! uninstall utility
http://www.avast.com/eng/avast-uninstall-utility.html

Then follow up with the Windows Installer Cleanup Utility
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/290301

If Avast is listed, remove it
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#4 burn1337

burn1337

• Banned
  • 311 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:39 AM

Posted 04 April 2009 - 04:15 PM

To be honest, if that is a problem with Avast, then I would say you either got a corrupted copy, or some weird ass bug came about... Otherwise, it seems more then the work of something malicious... If your codecs are disappearing, and taskbar disappearing... Honestly, seems to more something like a polymorphic infection...

#5 mo-chan

mo-chan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:39 AM

Posted 05 April 2009 - 12:05 AM

avast! uninstall utility
http://www.avast.com/eng/avast-uninstall-utility.html

Then follow up with the Windows Installer Cleanup Utility
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/290301

If Avast is listed, remove it

Rrrroger!! umm...downloads complete! Will initiate your further instructions, as directed, as soon as time allows!

And THANK YOU :thumbsup:

#6 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:39 PM

Posted 05 April 2009 - 01:40 PM

Run the Avast removal tool and then run the Cleanup Utility
Look for anything relating to Avast and if it's there tick the box and run it
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users