Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Xp pro memory

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Ian F

Ian F

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:10 PM

Posted 04 April 2009 - 07:44 AM

My computer has a Asus P5QL mobo with 2 x 1Gb Kingston 1066 DDR2 Ram, a 3.2 Gig Intel p4 cpu, a Powercolor HD4650 Graphics card with 512 ram, 2 SATA Hard drives and 2 IDE DVD drives. When the computer boots up the POST shows 2 Gig of Ram, the Bios also shows 2 Gig of Ram all usable. Windows XP pro shows only 1 Gig under system properties, whereas Windows 7 beta shows the full 2 Gig. Why does this occur? I would appreciate any help thanks. By the way Sisoft Sandra shows 2 x 1 gig sticks of Ram. Ian F

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,560 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:10 PM

Posted 04 April 2009 - 10:08 AM

Right-click on My Computer/Properties...what does it show for RAM?

Are you using onboard video? If so, how much RAM is allocated to such (in the BIOS)?

Louis

#3 Ian F

Ian F
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 04 April 2009 - 11:59 AM

My computer/properties shows 1 Gig Ram and the words Physical Address Extension. I do not believe the board has on board video!

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,560 posts
  •  

Posted 04 April 2009 - 12:48 PM

Hmmm...I think I'd try reseating the RAM modules...I can't think of any other reason the module would not show up in Windows...other than a bad slot on the motherboard or some interference on the motherboard.

Since you have 4 slots for RAM...I would try moving the RAM. The motherboard slot may have a problem.

Louis

Edit: I would run Memtest on the RAM modules if nothing appears to be successful in resolving the situation.

Memtest86.com - Memory Diagnostic - http://www.memtest86.com/

Edited by hamluis, 04 April 2009 - 12:50 PM.

#5 Ian F

Ian F
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 06 April 2009 - 04:23 PM

:thumbsup: Still trying to sort out this memory problem, I decided to look at the BOOT.INI file. Low and behold the max memory was stated to be 1024 kilobytes. I changed maxmem to 4096 saved the file and rebooted. The system properties show I have 2 Gig of Ram in my computer. It has not speeded it up but I am pleased that it shows the real thing. :flowers:

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,560 posts
  •  

Posted 06 April 2009 - 04:40 PM

The boot.ini file contains no data re RAM. The only data reflected in that file relates to drives/partitions/Windows.

How to Use and Edit Boot.ini in Windows XP - http://vlaurie.com/computers2/Articles/bootini.htm

Louis

#7 Platypus

Platypus

• Global Moderator
  • 15,786 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:10 AM

Posted 06 April 2009 - 06:02 PM

BOOT.INI has an optional switch /MAXMEM= which can be used to limit memory utilization for fault finding etc.

The option can be found in msconfig on the Advanced Options dialog of the BOOT.INI tab.
Top 5 things that never get done:

#8 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,560 posts
  •  

Posted 06 April 2009 - 07:20 PM

Info appreciated :thumbsup:.

I don't visit msconfig very often.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users