Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Best Data V92 Internal Modem

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 audioAl

audioAl

• Members
  • 426 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:34 PM

Posted 04 April 2009 - 05:45 AM

Good Morning: I recently semi-retired to sunny Seadrift,Tx. and am using for now a $19.99 56K 56HP V92/V44 modem. Is there any software to help this modem perform better? I use Verizon dial-up. Not much available in this coastal community. Wireless is $49.99 monthly, $150.00 installation! Ouch!! Thanks for the response in advance. Alan
Windows Vista Ultimate 64 bit/Intel e5300 cpu/ASRock G41M-LE mainboard/G max4500 onboard graphics/4gigs OCZ 800Mhz ram/ VIA onboard HD Vinyl audio/Yamaha RX-V465 HT receiver/ Cambridge SoundWorks and Infinity RS1001 speakers

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:34 PM

Posted 04 April 2009 - 10:38 AM

How to Optimize Dial-up Performance

http://www.linfo.org/faster_dial-up.html
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#3 fairjoeblue

fairjoeblue

• Members
  • 1,594 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:34 PM

Posted 04 April 2009 - 11:03 AM

If you are used to DSL/Cable/satellite dialup is going to be very frustrating.

Since there is dialup check & see if DSL is available.
OCZ StealthXstream 700W,Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3R , E8500, Arctic Freezer Pro 7, 3GB G.Skill PC8500,Gigabyte Radeon HD 4850 OC [1GB ], Seagate 250GB SATA II X2 in RAID 0, Samsung SATA DVD burner.

#4 dpunisher

dpunisher

• BC Advisor
  • 2,234 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:34 PM

Posted 04 April 2009 - 11:42 AM

There really is no software solution to up the throughput. For the most part Windows settings for dialup are hard to improve upon. You can tweek certain settings, but any difference really isn't noticable. As far as modem brands/chipsets, Lucents, Motorola, and Rockwell/Conexant work about the same. I get the same connect speeds from $9.99 cheapies to $35.00 fancy modems. My rural customers either deal with 9-13K connect speeds or get wireless through an antennae on their house. Does Clearwire service Seadrift?

I am a retired Ford tech. Next to Fords, any computer is a piece of cake. (The cake, its not a lie)

3770K @4.5, Corsair H100, GTX780, 16gig Samsung, Obsidian 700 (yes there is a 700)

#5 audioAl

audioAl
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 426 posts
  •  

Posted 09 April 2009 - 05:37 AM

There really is no software solution to up the throughput. For the most part Windows settings for dialup are hard to improve upon. You can tweek certain settings, but any difference really isn't noticable. As far as modem brands/chipsets, Lucents, Motorola, and Rockwell/Conexant work about the same. I get the same connect speeds from $9.99 cheapies to $35.00 fancy modems. My rural customers either deal with 9-13K connect speeds or get wireless through an antennae on their house. Does Clearwire service Seadrift?

Thanks for the response, another Co. does the wireless here, $49.99 a month, $150.00 installation. I will go back to work soon and se if that will help me afford the wireless, no DSL here yet either,Alan
Windows Vista Ultimate 64 bit/Intel e5300 cpu/ASRock G41M-LE mainboard/G max4500 onboard graphics/4gigs OCZ 800Mhz ram/ VIA onboard HD Vinyl audio/Yamaha RX-V465 HT receiver/ Cambridge SoundWorks and Infinity RS1001 speakers

#6 audioAl

audioAl
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 426 posts
  •  

Posted 09 April 2009 - 05:45 AM

How to Optimize Dial-up Performance

http://www.linfo.org/faster_dial-up.html

Thanks Mark, I read and understand, you guys are great, keep up the good work,Alan

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users