Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Using "Vista Ultimate" upgrade CD for Clean Install?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 lvl477

lvl477

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:44 PM

Posted 04 April 2009 - 04:48 AM

I purchased a Dell Studio laptop (1737) with Vista Home Premium SP1 (x64) preloaded. I upgraded to Vista Ultimate (PRODUCT) RED SP1 (x64) - don't ask me why - and, since new computers don't come with OS CD's anymore. . .I was wondering if I could use my 'Ultimate' disk to perform a clean install (I have tried - a little - and can't seem to find any "link" (button?) other than "Install")

~lvl477 sUx~

(Moderator edit and note: post moved to more appropriate forum. jgw)

Edited by jgweed, 04 April 2009 - 08:39 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:44 PM

Posted 05 April 2009 - 10:38 AM

The way I understand it is you have to start all over or you will have activation problems

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/937769/en-us

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/937150/en-us

http://windowshelp.microsoft.com/Windows/e...b981033.mspx#EM
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#3 lvl477

lvl477
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 08 April 2009 - 03:55 PM

I figured as much. . .

So, what I've done (for better or worse) is formatted my C: (OS) partition and, just for laughs, my D: (RECOVERY) partition effectively removing. . .well, everything on my hard-drive except the mysterious X: (BOOT)

I gathered all of my fancy Dell brand recovery and reinstall CD's that came with the machine and grabbed my retail copy of Vista Ultimate (RED) which I used to upgrade from Home Premium SP1 (OEM) Here's my problem (most likely self-inflicted):

IF: I attempt to install windows using the Ultimate CD, everything's fine until I go to choose which partition I'd like to install on. A message at the bottom of the box says that since I used this product code, I must install vista on a machine that is currently running windows. I can choosea partition but, the "NEXT" button is grayed out.

IF: I attempt to install windows using the Dell Recovery CD, I put in my product key (Serously, Dell? Underneath the battery. . .) click next and shortly after, I'm prompted to insert "Install Disk 1" - None of these disks are numbered so, I used the one that said it contained the Operating System. I then inserted EVERY disk that came with my computer and recieved the same error everytime. THEN, in frustration, I tried my NeoSmart Recovery CD. . .it began to spin up and then I recieved an error stating that file install.wim? (could be wrong about extension) couldn't be read.

At this point, I gave up. Any ideas on what to do now?

Dell Studio 1737 320Gig HDD / 4Gig RAM
8x Optiarch DVD+/RW Serial ATA Slot-loading Drive
anything else?

#4 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:44 PM

Posted 08 April 2009 - 07:27 PM

You have a original retail Vista DVD?
Start over from scratch
Download Killdisk free version
http://www.killdisk.com/downloadfree.htm
Do a single pass low-level format and wipe the drive and all partitions clean
Their instruction on how to burn an ISO and how to use the program are pretty straight forward
http://www.killdisk.com/screenshots.htm
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#5 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,755 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:44 PM

Posted 09 April 2009 - 01:26 AM

theres a way to do it, but Im not sure its totally legal, and Im not sure I know how to do it specifically anyway, it would be best to get the full version anyway.

picard5.jpg

Primary system: Motherboard: ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3, Processor: AMD Phenom II x4 945, Memory: 16 gigs of Patriot G2 DDR3 1600, Video: AMD Sapphire Nitro R9 380, Storage: 1 WD 500 gig HD, 1 Hitachi 500 gig HD, and Power supply: Coolermaster 750 watt, OS: Windows 10 64 bit. 

Media Center: Motherboard: Gigabyte mp61p-S3, Processor: AMD Athlon 64 x2 6000+, Memory: 6 gigs Patriot DDR2 800, Video: Gigabyte GeForce GT730, Storage: 500 gig Hitachi, PSU: Seasonic M1211 620W full modular, OS: Windows 10.

If I don't reply within 24 hours of your reply, feel free to send me a pm.

#6 lvl477

lvl477
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 09 April 2009 - 01:36 AM

I don't have the Original Home Premium disk - that came preloaded. I have a Microsoft Ultimate (RED) disk which I purchased and used to upgrade.

I've already wiped my hard drive partitions. The problem comes during the install.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users