Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Problem installing software from CD rom

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 elayne

elayne

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:04 PM

Posted 03 April 2009 - 10:54 PM

I did a full system recovery about a month ago because I was having problems with my machine freezing up after about twenty minutes. Now It works great for internet purposes and it's as fast as it was when it was new.
However, a lot of my software wasn't working after that. Stuff that I downloaded like yahoo messenger and Open Office were reinstalled with no problem. However stuff I had to reinstall from a cd rom wasn't working at all (eg Studio 9 and software for my labtec webcam). Actually anything I tried to reinstall from a CD failed. There were no errors the InstallShield Wizard would just up and quit.

Anyway, I had the brilliant idea to copy the Studio 9 CD onto the hard drive and install it from there and it almost worked. It got more than halfway through the installation, then a window came up that said it was "trying to stop PCLEPCI Service" then a few minutes later another window said it was trying to stop the "ASAPIW2k Service" then I got a "Feature Transfer Error: 0"
then another window came up saying that it was uninstalling the software.

I did some research on ASAPIW2k Service and PCLEPCI Service and they both seem to be files from Pinnacle (Studio 9's creator) I tried to do a scan from file.net which downloaded some Uniblue scanner to my machine but it froze up when I clicked to run it. File.net said that sometimes malware will disguise itself as ASAPIW2k and PCLEPCI, but I think file.net says that about everything.

As far as virus and spyware protection I have Norton, Stopzilla, and Superantispyware and none of them are finding anything other than cookies on my machine right now.

Any advice on this matter would be appreciated.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Guest_Jay-P VIP_*

Guest_Jay-P VIP_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 04 April 2009 - 01:11 AM

Please fix the security settings on your computer by navigating to here, and letting the Fix it do the work for you! The fix it is in the center of the page. If you like, read over the article. DO NOT ATTEMPT TO FIX IT YOURSELF.

Then, please try and reinstall the programs you want. Please tell me of the results, or ask any questions in your next reply!

#3 elayne

elayne
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 04 April 2009 - 10:19 AM

Well... After I posted that, I ran stopzilla while in safe mode and that found a bunch of stuff I didn't bother to write down. When I restarted it Windows had an extensive automatic update waiting for me which took about an hour. It even recommended that I do a back up before installing the update (I didn't do that because I had just done a back up before the system recovery and I haven't had the chance to put anything on the hard drive worth saving.

Anyway the windows update went through registry fixes and and creating restore points and all that jazz, and after it was done I was able to install software from a CD. go figure.

#4 Guest_Jay-P VIP_*

Guest_Jay-P VIP_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 04 April 2009 - 10:56 AM

The installer may have fixed itself, which is probably why it took so long. Installer issues can cause security settings to be corrupt as well.

Thank you for the confidence of solving the problem yourself, and thank you for choosing Bleeping Computer as your source of help today!

Do you have any questions?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users