Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Lost data being typed in wordpad

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 abcd_1

abcd_1

• Members
  • 91 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:24 AM

Posted 03 April 2009 - 10:43 PM

Hi.

i dont have ms office. was typing data in wordpad.

There was a power cut.

i do not have an ups, and i did not save the data.

The document is huge and important.

i cannot afford to lose it.

Please suggest me a technique to retrieve this data.

i did not make any changes to my computer. i use windows xp.

am i being foolish in requesting this help?

i dont mind ,, because the document is very very important.

Thanks in anticipation.

I sincerely believe that the experts will have the solution.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Stang777

Stang777

Just Hoping To Help

• Members
  • 1,821 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:54 PM

Posted 03 April 2009 - 10:59 PM

I am sorry but if you had not saved the document, I do not think there is any way to get it back. As far as I know, Wordpad does not have an auto save feature so it is just gone. This is why people always say, save, save, save.

When working on a document, it is a good idea to save it every few minutes, just in case something like this happens. I use WordPerfect and have it set to auto save every 3 minutes. Your time would probably better spent just recreating the document than trying to find a way to retrieve it.

I am sorry you lost it, I know that is very frustrating.

#3 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 35,758 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:54 PM

Posted 03 April 2009 - 11:27 PM

Wordpad does not have an auto save, feature. Wordpad is a stripped down bare bones word processor. Unfortunately when you lost power you lost your document. Sorry to be yet another bearer of bad news.

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#4 abcd_1

abcd_1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 91 posts
  •  

Posted 03 April 2009 - 11:30 PM

i have not yet opened the wordpad again.

is there some option like wordpad has got some buffer or clipboard that we can use.

any help would be cherished.

thanks

#5 danjmilos

danjmilos

• Members
  • 227 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:54 AM

Posted 03 April 2009 - 11:43 PM

There is a good free alternative to MS Word products. The best maybe Open Office it may have the save features in it you need and I am sure there others.

Dan

#6 Stang777

Stang777

Just Hoping To Help

• Members
  • 1,821 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:54 PM

Posted 04 April 2009 - 12:10 AM

No, Wordpad does not have those but even if it did, clipboard and all are wiped out when the power is.

#7 abcd_1

abcd_1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 91 posts
  •  

Posted 04 April 2009 - 10:14 PM

Thanks all for the help with word pad.

But just out of curiosity, i put forward this question.

Suppose i use msword and save the data on desktop. reopen the document and make some changes(edit). meanwhile when i dont save and there is a power cut ,, then is there any chance of preserving the unsaved data or retrieving the unsaved data?

my question is, if there is any chance that the windows registry or the msword clipboard can help us in this case?

Look forward for your expert comments.

Thanks in anticipation.

i am a newbie , request you not to not to feel bad if the question is very awkward!

Thanks again

#8 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 35,758 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:54 PM

Posted 04 April 2009 - 10:53 PM

Suffice it to say if what ever you are typing is not saved. Either in Word, Wordpad, for that matter any word processing application. Data is currently held in whats known as volatile type of RAM. Once power is lost that RAM is wiped clean, hence the term volatile. The only thing keeping it in the RAM, active and usable as data is electricity. Lose electricity without saving the data in volatile memory you can consider it gone.

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#9 abcd_1

abcd_1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 91 posts
  •  

Posted 05 April 2009 - 01:23 AM

Thanks...

The explanation is crystal clear.

Thanks to the experts.