Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Internet Service Providers

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 monkpart9

monkpart9

• Members
  • 256 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:45 PM

Posted 03 April 2009 - 06:52 PM

Over the years I've come to realize that everyone I know has a faster internet connection than myself. Being that they have road runner and I'm still stuck with DSL. The only problem with switching to Road Runner is that darn expense. I mean they really have done quite the good job of monopolization. Anyway, I was wondering what internet services there are out there, DSL, Dial up, Road runner, satellite, etc... as well as how much they cost each.

Really all I want is faster internet. Faster than DSL, maybe as fast as road runner but maybe not as expensive?

Thank you very much in advance.

:]
If you do things right, then people won't know if you've done anything at all.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,078 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:45 PM

Posted 03 April 2009 - 09:57 PM

I don't know which part of NY you are in and if there are more cable services available in your area. but I guess you can start calling these. I'm in NJ and get ,phone,broadband and TV for $100.

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=H...eed+cable+in+NY

Edited by boopme, 03 April 2009 - 09:57 PM.

How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#3 buttoni

buttoni

• Members
  • 267 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:45 PM

Posted 05 April 2009 - 04:17 PM

The only problem with switching to Road Runner is that darn expense. ...........
:]

And about to get more expensive for some cable ISP customers. I just heard on my local TV news night before last that Roadrunner is in the process of restructuring their fees and soon are going to charge based on use (I call it "The more you use, the more you pay" plan :thumbsup: ). So that $49.95 a month is going to get a lot more expensive for some users. The reporter said more than likely other cable providers would probably do the same, if they aren't already doing so.

I'm on AT&T DSL Express at $25 a month. But they offer I believe two faster DSL programs than the Express. Don't know the cost of those off the top of my head, but seems like one was only about $10-15 more than what I have and the fastest service was around what Roadrunner currently cost, around $50 or so a month (if I'm remembering the last mailer correctly).

Speed just isn't crucial for us as we don't game on our pc, so the DSL Express is just fine for our needs. Pages render in just a second or two, so that's good enough for internet surfing, which is pretty much all we use the pc for.
HP Pavilion desktop p6270z; 8 GB ram; Win7 Home Premium x64 bit; FX 4.0; DSL 2Wire modem/router; MVPS Hosts; Comodo FW 5.3(D+ & Sandbox enabled); MSSE; MBAM on demand.

#4 O-Razor

O-Razor

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:45 PM

Posted 05 April 2009 - 10:03 PM

Hi monkpart9,

You didn't say what you considered fast. I'll share my DSL experiance.

I like DSL because the bandwidth assigned is all yours. When you're on cable your bandwidth can get lower than what your paying for because the bandwidth is shared with everyone on the cable.

DSL was finally offered by my ISP (phone company) in 2004. I got the 2nd price level of 256 Kb/s download speed. It usually was over 500 Kb/s though. In 2008 I called customer service to change my phone plan unrelated to my DSL service and then she said "I can have your DSL download speed increased to 1.5 Mb/s at no extra cost if you like." And I'm like "Yeah, I'd like that!" Good grief. :thumbsup:

My DSL connection of 1.5 Mb/s download speed is fast enough for streaming CD quality music on multiple computers, downloading large software updates and watching a HD movie with less then 10 minutes of preloading. I don't know if 1.5Mb/s down and 500 Kb/s up speeds are fast enough for online gaming.

All of the cable ISP's in my area have tiered price plans that are a combination of speed and download limits. I don't think any of them are a good deal.
My only choice is DSL (the 2 copper wires from the phone company) because I live in the country. Good thing I like it.

My ISP (phone company w/DSL) doesn't have any download limits which is good because I might listen to over 100 Gb's of streamed music in a month. I would choose a lower download speed with no download size restrictions any day. The portion of my phone bill for DSL is $30.00.

The last time I checked on a satellite internet connection it was considerably more expensive than connecting to a local ISP and had limitations. Satellite internet is mainly for web browsing and reading email. It has more severe bandwidth sharing problems than cable and will automatically throttle way down things like file downloads and media streaming.

Several things can negatively affect your internet use:

1. You might have a computer/router/modem/software configuration problem. Other topic areas cover these.

2. Your ISP may not be giving you the speed your paying for.
You can check it at DSLReports.com. Choose one of the speed tests and a city to reach to see what your download and upload speeds are.
The link is: Speed Test - dslreports.com

3. The internet backbone occasionally has a problem.
Some examples are overwhelming internet traffic caused by viruses and other cyber attacks. These can bring large geographic areas to a crawl. Construction can dig thru a main line, etc. These issues can affect your speed test at DSLReports.com.

4. A site your browsing might be serving it up really slow. Not much you can do about that.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users