Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

mother board swap

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 nine2lou

nine2lou

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:02 PM

Posted 03 April 2009 - 05:56 PM

1st question: I have an older Dell 8100 that has worked well as a second pc in my garage. A few years ago I upgraded the 423 p4 1.6 cpu with a 478 p4 2.8 via power leap and their adapter. All has been well. Has 1 G rdram, Win XP home. I believe I cooked the mother board a couple of weeks ago by having it contained in a unvented cabinet. I found, ordered and installed the same mother board. Installation went well. All was identical. Upon boot into the Bios, I see it only recognizes the cpu as a 1.6. I reset the Bios and it still only recognized it as a 1.6 p4. Could this be because of an out dated bios?

2nd question: Upon normal boot up the windows logo would come up but all would freeze and go black screen. Is it possible I will have to reformat and reload the OS because of the duplicate mother board replacement?
Thanks for your help guys.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 fairjoeblue

fairjoeblue

• Members
  • 1,594 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:02 PM

Posted 03 April 2009 - 10:51 PM

Since you were the one to install the power leap adapter originally did it require a certain bios version ["or above"] to work ?

If the replacement motherboard is identical to the original Windows should start with no problem.

Try starting in Safe mode.
If it will start go to the device manager & uninstall the video, sound, & LAN [network adapter]
See if it will start normally .
You may have to download the proper drivers & install them.
OCZ StealthXstream 700W,Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3R , E8500, Arctic Freezer Pro 7, 3GB G.Skill PC8500,Gigabyte Radeon HD 4850 OC [1GB ], Seagate 250GB SATA II X2 in RAID 0, Samsung SATA DVD burner.

#3 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,755 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:02 AM

Posted 04 April 2009 - 01:18 AM

why didnt you just order a socket 478 motherboard to replace it?

picard5.jpg

Primary system: Motherboard: ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3, Processor: AMD Phenom II x4 945, Memory: 16 gigs of Patriot G2 DDR3 1600, Video: AMD Sapphire Nitro R9 380, Storage: 1 WD 500 gig HD, 1 Hitachi 500 gig HD, and Power supply: Coolermaster 750 watt, OS: Windows 10 64 bit. 

Media Center: Motherboard: Gigabyte mp61p-S3, Processor: AMD Athlon 64 x2 6000+, Memory: 6 gigs Patriot DDR2 800, Video: Gigabyte GeForce GT730, Storage: 500 gig Hitachi, PSU: Seasonic M1211 620W full modular, OS: Windows 10.

If I don't reply within 24 hours of your reply, feel free to send me a pm.

#4 Hawkeye4

Hawkeye4

• Members
  • 326 posts
  •  

Posted 04 April 2009 - 02:14 AM

Could this be because of an out dated bios?

Mine was doing that til I replaced the MB battery. Kept going into the bios and showed it was still operating at a slower speed and had to upgrade the clock too. New battery and walla!

#5 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 04 April 2009 - 10:33 AM

I'm assuming that you just put the old hard drive back in
Besides the BIOS, there might be a chip or two that's not the exact same thing
http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/moving_xp.html
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#6 nine2lou

nine2lou
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 05 April 2009 - 06:20 AM

Hi guys, thanks for the help
When I purchaced the board the MX-025REH was what I was suppose to get.
the serial # on the old board is MX-025REH-12405-13E-1500 REV 02.
the serial # on the replacement I was sent is MX-09D307-12405-14I-0559 REV 01
I'm assuming the board was bad because there was no power going to the board at all. Checked that with a psu swap. I will try the bios update but assuming that I can get windows running and to Dells support site. Booting into safe mode froze early where I think all the drivers are loading after I choose boot into safe mode. I also tried to put the old 1.5 cpu in to see if it would boot and that did not work. I'm not opposed to reload of the OS. Just looking to save time and aggrevation.

#7 fairjoeblue

fairjoeblue

• Members
  • 1,594 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:02 PM

Posted 05 April 2009 - 09:33 AM

The replacement motherboard isn't exactly the same as the original.
The replacement is an older version of the motherboard.

" old board is MX-025REH-12405-13E-1500 REV 02."

" replacement is MX-09D307-12405-14I-0559 REV 01 "

I have never used a power leap socket 423 to 478 adapter but there is the possibility that the older revision motherboard simply won't support it properly.
OCZ StealthXstream 700W,Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3R , E8500, Arctic Freezer Pro 7, 3GB G.Skill PC8500,Gigabyte Radeon HD 4850 OC [1GB ], Seagate 250GB SATA II X2 in RAID 0, Samsung SATA DVD burner.

#8 nine2lou

nine2lou
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 06 April 2009 - 06:59 PM

Just for the heck of it, I powered the other supposed bad MB and it had life. Put it all back together as it was before I took it apart and all works again. Puzzles me why but $19.00 later and a whole bunch of time, and advice from you guys, I'm a little more knowlegable. Thanks for the help guys. LOU

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users