Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

.mp4 codec for playing .mp4 video files on HD?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Johnz414

Johnz414

• Members
  • 466 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:25 PM

Posted 03 April 2009 - 05:10 PM

Hi,

I've found some .mp4 video files on my PC and I'd like to view them. Windows Media Player doesn't seem to like .mp4 files.

I was wondering if someone knows of a good "freeware" codec download that would cover all the basics for playing any file on your PC?

I've found Vista Codecs but once installed doesn't seem to work for .mp4 even though it says it does. (Looks like a great product anyhow?)

Anyone that can straighten me out here would be appreciated.

Thanks,

John
John

"Genius is nothing other than pointing out the obvious",
Albert Einstein.

"I am what I am and that is all that I am, I am Popeye the Sailor Man", Popeye.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Romeo29

Romeo29

Learning To Bleep

• Members
  • 3,194 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:25 PM

Posted 05 April 2009 - 02:01 PM

Have you tried K-Lite Mega Codec pack?

http://www.free-codecs.com/K_lite_codec_pack_download.htm

Download Full version.

Edited by Romeo29, 05 April 2009 - 02:03 PM.

#3 12x48y

12x48y

• Members
  • 299 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:25 PM

Posted 07 April 2009 - 11:06 AM

If the codec don't work, maybe you can convert it.

I use handbrake on my Mac, it works well, though a bit slow. There is a windows version also that might work for you.

http://handbrake.fr/

There's also MPEG streamclip for windows. But again, I'm not 100% sure if it will do what you want on Windows.

http://www.digital-digest.com/software/mpeg_streamclip.html

If you try it could you let us know if it worked for you?

Edited by 12x48y, 07 April 2009 - 11:20 AM.

#4 skyfuser

skyfuser

• Members
  • 470 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:25 PM

Posted 10 April 2009 - 03:35 PM

CCCP is all you ever need. Remember to uninstall all other codec packs you've ever gotten.
"If a man is offered a fact which goes against his instincts, he will scrutinize it closely, and unless the evidence is overwhelming, he will refuse to believe it. If, on the other hand, he is offered something which affords a reason for acting in accordance to his instincts, he will accept it even on the slightest evidence. The origin of myths is explained in this way." - Bertrand Russell

#5 bluesjunior

bluesjunior

• Members
  • 761 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:25 PM

Posted 13 April 2009 - 03:53 AM

I would recommend installing the freeware VLC player. It is extremely light on resources and plays most every type of file known to man. You do not need a codec bundle as it has all the codecs preinstalled as a part of the program. You can then uninstall whichever codec pack is on your PC from the ARP list.
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-MA770T-UD3, CPU: AMD Athlon II X3 450 Processor, Memory: OCZ 4GB (2x2GB) DDR3 1333MHz,Graphics: PowerColor HD 5750 1GB GDDR5,
PSU: Corsair 430W CX PSU 4x SATA 1x PCI-E, Hard Drive:Samsung SpinPoint F3 500GB Hard Drive SATAII 7200rpm 16MB Cache.

#6 nully101

nully101

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:25 PM

Posted 22 April 2009 - 08:04 AM

Hi, I had mpeg4 files recorded from my TV & media player wouldn't play them. I searched for ages and eventually found a download (see below) which solved it for me. It may help.

Nully

http://www.moviecodec.com/downloads/365d.html

Edited by nully101, 22 April 2009 - 08:06 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users