Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

invalid image error message

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 kenhil2

kenhil2

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:00 PM

Posted 03 April 2009 - 04:40 PM

hello, not sure what i got infected with, but anytime i run any exe. file i get a error message pop up saying that its not a valid windows image file, i get a ton pop up every time i start my computer and after its started, anytime i run anything not already started up. everything works fine after i click ok on the error message, and i have installed and scanned my computer with mcafee, spyhunter 3, spybot search & destroy, malwarebytes and windows defender, all say i am clean besides the occasional bad cookie. i tried doing a clean boot but for some reason the windows startup disk i have apparently isn't the right one. only one that i have, only one i've ever had so i'm not sure how its the wrong disk. system restore also doesn't work. i've tried to restore to multiple saved points and every time i restart it just says it could not do a system restore. i am losing my mind, and really hoping i don't have to wipe my laptop clean and start over. any help would be greatly appreciated.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 kenhil2

kenhil2
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 04 April 2009 - 07:32 AM

the error that keeps coming up says that C:\WINDOWS\system32\tatowepo.dll is not a valid windows image every time i run any exe file, if that helps anyone able to help me :thumbsup:

#3 kenhil2

kenhil2
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 05 April 2009 - 05:19 PM

no one?

#4 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 50,939 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:00 PM

Posted 06 April 2009 - 12:26 PM

The error message "Not a valid Win32 application" can be symptomatic of a serious malware infection which disables anti-virus and security tools. It adds a hidden service and a dangerous rootkit which can be difficult to remove as well as compromises the affected machine to other malware attacks. Some malware infections target .exe files and without repairing that file association ALL .exe files will lose functionality.

Go to Start > Run and in the open box, type or copy/paste: command.com (cmd.exe won't work the when exe file association is broken)
Press Ok.
At the command.com prompt, type or copy/paste: ftype exefile="%1" %*
Press Enter.
Then type: Exit
to exit command.com.
This should restore the default association for exe files but only temporarily if the virus is still active.

If that does not resolve the problem, try downloading EXE File Association Fix and save to your Desktop. Extract (unzip) xp_exe_fix.zip and double-click on xp_exe.fix.reg and choose "Yes" to merge it into the registry when prompted. Once you get a successful message delete the file and reboot.

Other suggestions:Then download Malwarebytes Anti-Malware and save it to your desktop.
Print out and follow these Instructions for scanning with Malwarebytes Anti-Malware and perform a Quick Scan in normal mode.
  • If you encounter any problems while downloading the definition updates, manually download them from here and just double-click on mbam-rules.exe to install.
  • When removal is completed, a log report will open in Notepad.
  • The log is automatically saved and can be viewed by clicking the Logs tab in MBAM.
  • Copy and paste the contents of that report in your next reply and exit MBAM.
Note: If MBAM encounters a file that is difficult to remove, you will be asked to reboot your computer so MBAM can proceed with the disinfection process. If asked to restart the computer, please do so immediately. Failure to reboot normally (not into safe mode) will prevent MBAM from removing all the malware. MBAM may "make changes to your registry" as part of its disinfection routine. If using other security programs that detect registry changes (ie Spybot's Teatimer), they may interfere or alert you. Temporarily disable such programs or permit them to allow the changes.

If you still cannot get MBAM to install or run, try renaming it and changing the file extension.
  • Right-click on the mbam-setup.exe file, rename it to mysetup and change the .exe extension to .scr, .com, .pif, or .bat.
  • Then double-click on mysetup.scr (or whatever extension you renamed it) to begin installation.
  • If after installation, MBAM will not run, open the Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware folder in Program Files.
  • Right-click on mbam.exe, rename it to myscan and change the .exe extension in the same way as noted above.
  • Double-click on myscan.scr (or whatever extension you renamed it) to launch the program.
If using Windows Vista, refer to How to Change a File Extension in Windows Vista.

Be sure to update MBAM through the program's interface (preferable method) or manually download the definition updates and just double-click on mbam-rules.exe to install. Then perform a Quick Scan in normal mode and check all items found for removal. Don't forgot to reboot afterwards. Failure to reboot normally (not into safe mode) will prevent MBAM from removing all the malware. When done, click the Logs tab and copy/paste the contents of the report in your next reply.

Edited by quietman7, 06 April 2009 - 12:27 PM.

Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#5 kenhil2

kenhil2
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 06 April 2009 - 05:07 PM

i tried the two fixes and neither worked, i still get the invalid image message. i have malwarebytes downloaded and it says i have no infections (also scanned with spybot S&D and that said it found nothing either). i tried starting in safe mode and the error messages still popup. also its not that my exe files dont work, they work fine after i click ok on the error message. any thoughts?

#6 kenhil2

kenhil2
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 06 April 2009 - 06:53 PM

heres the log from the scan :thumbsup:

Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware 1.35
Database version: 1927
Windows 5.1.2600 Service Pack 3

4/6/2009 7:51:32 PM
mbam-log-2009-04-06 (19-51-32).txt

Scan type: Full Scan (C:\|)
Objects scanned: 160445
Time elapsed: 52 minute(s), 40 second(s)

Memory Processes Infected: 0
Memory Modules Infected: 0
Registry Keys Infected: 0
Registry Values Infected: 0
Registry Data Items Infected: 0
Folders Infected: 0
Files Infected: 0

Memory Processes Infected:
(No malicious items detected)

Memory Modules Infected:

Registry Keys Infected:

Registry Values Infected:

Registry Data Items Infected:

Folders Infected:

Files Infected:

#7 kenhil2

kenhil2
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 07 April 2009 - 07:39 AM

so even though the scan log says its clean, i still get the

"The application or DLL C:\WINDOWS\system32\tatowepo.dll is not a valid Windows image.
Please check this against you installation diskette"

any thoughts?

#8 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 50,939 posts
  •  

Posted 07 April 2009 - 08:50 AM

MBAM has been updated to v1.36. Please download and install the most current version from here.
You may have to reboot after updating in order to overwrite any "in use" protection module files.

Update the database through the program's interface (preferable method) or manually download the definition updates and just double-click on mbam-rules.exe to install. Then perform a new Quick Scan in normal mode and check all items found for removal. Don't forgot to reboot afterwards. Failure to reboot normally (not into safe mode) will prevent MBAM from removing all the malware. When done, click the Logs tab and copy/paste the contents of the new report in your next reply.

#9 kenhil2

kenhil2
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 07 April 2009 - 05:15 PM

Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware 1.36
Database version: 1949
Windows 5.1.2600 Service Pack 3

4/7/2009 6:13:07 PM
mbam-log-2009-04-07 (18-13-07).txt

Scan type: Quick Scan
Objects scanned: 83677
Time elapsed: 9 minute(s), 4 second(s)

Memory Processes Infected: 0
Memory Modules Infected: 0
Registry Keys Infected: 0
Registry Values Infected: 0
Registry Data Items Infected: 0
Folders Infected: 0
Files Infected: 0

Memory Processes Infected:

Memory Modules Infected:

Registry Keys Infected:

Registry Values Infected:

Registry Data Items Infected:

Folders Infected:

Files Infected:

#10 kenhil2

kenhil2
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 08 April 2009 - 08:15 AM

ideas?

#11 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 50,939 posts
  •  

Posted 08 April 2009 - 10:00 AM

Please download and scan with Dr.Web CureIt.
Follow these instructions for performing a scan in "safe mode".
If you cannot boot into safe mode, then perform your scan in normal mode. Be aware, this scan could take a long time to complete.
-- Post the log in your next reply.

#12 kenhil2

kenhil2
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 08 April 2009 - 07:17 PM

is this what you are looking for? there was no log tab or button

JOESetup-dm.exe;C:\Documents and Settings\Owner.YOUR-FDA56CC518\Desktop\Briefcase\Games;Adware.TryMedia;Incurable.Deleted.;
JointOperations-dm.exe;C:\Documents and Settings\Owner.YOUR-FDA56CC518\Desktop\Briefcase\Games;Adware.TryMedia;Deleted.;
aolcinst.exe\core.cab\GTDOWNAO_106.ocx;D:\i386\Apps\App00577\comps\coach\aolcinst.exe;Adware.Gdown;;
aolcinst.exe;D:\i386\Apps\App00577\comps\coach;Archive contains infected objects;Moved.;
tssetup.exe\data002;D:\i386\Apps\App00577\comps\tpspd\tssetup.exe;Probably DLOADER.Trojan;;
tssetup.exe;D:\i386\Apps\App00577\comps\tpspd;Archive contains infected objects;Moved.;
A0001489.exe\core.cab\GTDOWNAO_106.ocx;D:\System Volume Information\_restore{593F298F-B7D6-4A3D-A260-6D7E68E3F587}\RP8\A0001489.exe;Adware.Gdown;;
A0001489.exe;D:\System Volume Information\_restore{593F298F-B7D6-4A3D-A260-6D7E68E3F587}\RP8;Archive contains infected objects;Moved.;
A0001492.exe\data002;D:\System Volume Information\_restore{593F298F-B7D6-4A3D-A260-6D7E68E3F587}\RP8\A0001492.exe;Probably DLOADER.Trojan;;
A0001492.exe;D:\System Volume Information\_restore{593F298F-B7D6-4A3D-A260-6D7E68E3F587}\RP8;Archive contains infected objects;Moved.;

#13 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 50,939 posts
  •  

Posted 09 April 2009 - 08:26 AM

Please download ATF Cleaner by Atribune & save it to your desktop. DO NOT use yet.
alternate download link

Please download and install SUPERAntiSpyware Free
  • Double-click SUPERAntiSypware.exe and use the default settings for installation.
  • An icon will be created on your desktop. Double-click that icon to launch the program.
  • If it will not start, go to Start > All Prgrams > SUPERAntiSpyware and click on Alternate Start.
  • If asked to update the program definitions, click "Yes". If not, update the definitions before scanning by selecting "Check for Updates". (If you encounter any problems while downloading the updates, manually download them from here. Double-click on the hyperlink for Download Installer and save SASDEFINITIONS.EXE to your desktop. Then double-click on SASDEFINITIONS.EXE to install the definitions.)
  • In the Main Menu, click the Preferences... button.
  • Click the "General and Startup" tab, and under Start-up Options, make sure "Start SUPERAntiSpyware when Windows starts" box is unchecked.
  • Click the "Scanning Control" tab, and under Scanner Options, make sure the following are checked (leave all others unchecked):
    • Close browsers before scanning.
    • Scan for tracking cookies.
    • Terminate memory threats before quarantining.
  • Click the "Close" button to leave the control center screen and exit the program.
  • Do not run a scan just yet.
Reboot your computer in "Safe Mode" using the F8 method. To do this, restart your computer and after hearing your computer beep once during startup (but before the Windows icon appears) press the F8 key repeatedly. A menu will appear with several options. Use the arrow keys to navigate and select the option to run Windows in "Safe Mode".

Double-click ATF-Cleaner.exe to run the program.
  • Under Main "Select Files to Delete" choose: Select All.
  • Click the Empty Selected button.
  • If you use Firefox browser click Firefox at the top and choose: Select All
    If you would like to keep your saved passwords, please click No at the prompt.
  • If you use Opera browser click Opera at the top and choose: Select All
    If you would like to keep your saved passwords, please click No at the prompt.
  • Click Exit on the Main menu to close the program.
Note: On Vista, "Windows Temp" is disabled. To empty "Windows Temp" ATF-Cleaner must be "Run as an Administrator".

Scan with SUPERAntiSpyware as follows:
  • Launch the program and back on the main screen, under "Scan for Harmful Software" click Scan your computer.
  • On the left, make sure you check C:\Fixed Drive.
  • On the right, under "Complete Scan", choose Perform Complete Scan and click "Next".
  • After the scan is complete, a Scan Summary box will appear with potentially harmful items that were detected. Click "OK".
  • Make sure everything has a checkmark next to it and click "Next".
  • A notification will appear that "Quarantine and Removal is Complete". Click "OK" and then click the "Finish" button to return to the main menu.
  • If asked if you want to reboot, click "Yes" and reboot normally.
  • To retrieve the removal information after reboot, launch SUPERAntispyware again.
    • Click Preferences, then click the Statistics/Logs tab.
    • Under Scanner Logs, double-click SUPERAntiSpyware Scan Log.
    • If there are several logs, click the current dated log and press View log. A text file will open in your default text editor.
    • Please copy and paste the Scan Log results in your next reply.
  • Click Close to exit the program.
If you cannot boot into safe mode, then perform your scans in normal mode.

#14 kenhil2

kenhil2
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 11 April 2009 - 10:26 AM

still getting the error messages, but heres the log

SUPERAntiSpyware Scan Log
http://www.superantispyware.com

Generated 04/11/2009 at 10:46 AM

Application Version : 4.26.1000

Core Rules Database Version : 3839
Trace Rules Database Version: 1795

Scan type : Complete Scan
Total Scan Time : 01:47:35

Memory items scanned : 762
Memory threats detected : 0
Registry items scanned : 7468
Registry threats detected : 7
File items scanned : 83256
File threats detected : 2

Rogue.Component/Trace
HKLM\Software\Microsoft\3CA9BD4C
HKLM\Software\Microsoft\3CA9BD4C#3ca9bd4c
HKLM\Software\Microsoft\3CA9BD4C#Version
HKLM\Software\Microsoft\3CA9BD4C#3ca910cc
HKLM\Software\Microsoft\3CA9BD4C#3ca97929
HKU\S-1-5-21-3705076234-955534174-1779050950-1006\Software\Microsoft\FIAS4051
HKU\S-1-5-21-3705076234-955534174-1779050950-1006\Software\Microsoft\FIAS4057

Trojan.Fake-Alert/Trace
C:\Documents and Settings\Owner.YOUR-FDA56CC518\Local Settings\Temporary Internet Files\fbk.sts

Rogue.FakeAlert/Wallpaper
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\CONFIG\SYSTEMPROFILE\LOCAL SETTINGS\TEMPORARY INTERNET FILES\CONTENT.IE5\CVQWOOA8\WARNING[1].GIF

#15 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 50,939 posts
  •  

Posted 11 April 2009 - 01:05 PM

Some infections are difficult to remove completely because of their morphing characteristics which allows the malware to regenerate itself. Sometimes there is hidden piece of malware which has not been detected by your security tools that protects malicious files and registry keys (which have been detected) so they cannot be permanently deleted. Disinfection will probably require the use of more powerful tools than we recommend in this forum. Before that can be done you will need you to create and post a DDS/HijackThis log for further investigation.

Please read the pinned topic titled "Preparation Guide For Use Before Posting A Hijackthis Log". If you cannot complete a step, then skip it and continue with the next. In Step 6 there are instructions for downloading and running DDS which will create a Pseudo HJT Report as part of its log.

When you have done that, post your log in the HijackThis Logs and Malware Removal forum, NOT here, for assistance by the HJT Team Experts. A member of the Team will walk you through, step by step, on how to clean your computer. If you post your log back in this thread, the response from the HJT Team will be delayed because your post will have to be moved. This means it will fall in line behind any others posted that same day.

Start a new topic, give it a relevant title and post your log along with a brief description of your problem, a summary of any anti-malware tools you have used and a summary of any steps that you have performed on your own. An expert will analyze your log and reply with instructions advising you what to fix. After doing this, we would appreciate if you post a link to your log back here so we know that your getting help from the HJT Team.

Please be patient. It may take a while to get a response because the HJT Team members are very busy working logs posted before yours. They are volunteers who will help you out as soon as possible. Once you have made your post and are waiting, please DO NOT "bump" your post or make another reply until it has been responded to by a member of the HJT Team. Generally the staff checks the forum for postings that have 0 replies as this makes it easier for them to identify those who have not been helped. If you post another response there will be 1 reply. A team member, looking for a new log to work may assume another HJT Team member is already assisting you and not open the thread to respond.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users