Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Rio Chiba 128 Mass Storage Device not being recognized?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 RashidZ

RashidZ

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:01 PM

Posted 03 April 2009 - 02:24 PM

Hi all, well this is a long shot now to post a question about my prety old mp3 player(Rio Chiba 128). The thing is that I have a good amount of good music I would like to copy off of it. Anyways I have Vista Home Premium 32bit and when I plug in the mp3 player, it recognizes it as being a Rio Chiba device but can not find any available drivers for it. I already tried the following:
-changed the cable
-directed the "New Device" wizard to look for drivers in C:\Windows\INF , C:\Windows\winsxs
-copied different copies of "usbstor.inf" & "usbstor.PNF" into C:\Windows\INF and different locations but none of those have worked
-I have even tried deleting INFCACHE.1 and nothing.
-went to: http://www.digitalnetworksna.com/support/r....asp?prodID=109 which is Rio's support page for this device but they claim it doesnt need a driver as the OS should read it as a mass storage device.

The mp3 player still works fine and plays music as it should it just doesnt want to be recognized in either vista or xp. any help or suggestions is really appreciate it as Im very little away from giving up on it. Thanks all!

Edited by RashidZ, 03 April 2009 - 02:26 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:01 AM

Posted 05 April 2009 - 10:21 AM

With it plugged in go to the Control Panel>Administrative Tool>Computer Management. Double-click on Storage. Double-click on disk Management.
On the top, click on Action and select Refresh

If it doesn't show, go to your Device Manager and see if there are any yellow exclamation points by the USB Root Hub Controllers
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#3 RashidZ

RashidZ
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 05 April 2009 - 12:44 PM

I went to computer management but its not showing there at all. It does show in Device Manager not under Universal Serial Bus Controllers but under "Other Devices" with a yellow exclamation mark with the name "Rio Chiva" , then when I go to properties, it says the drivers are not installed for this device (code 28) So it does detect it as a Rio Chiva as "Other Devices" but cant seem to detect it as a mass storage device as it should. Is there anything i should try next or missed? Thanks for your reply!

Edited by RashidZ, 05 April 2009 - 12:46 PM.

#4 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:01 AM

Posted 05 April 2009 - 02:14 PM

Disconnect the unit from the computer. Totally remove the "Other Device" from Device Manager and reboot the computer
Then try hooking it up again
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#5 RashidZ

RashidZ
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 05 April 2009 - 11:00 PM

Did all that, remove device, reboot comp, then try to reconnect it againg but it again says that it finds new hardware and asks if I want to either Locate and install driver software, ask me again later, or dont show this message again for this device. I tried selecting locate and install driver software but doesnt find anything and fails to install it. Then the device is again in device manager under Other Devices.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users