Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

problem with old game on new pc

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 FdjC

FdjC

• Members
  • 77 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:04 AM

Posted 21 August 2004 - 01:47 PM

i got a new pc at christmas and i have had no problems with games being compatable as i got xp and 98 installed, a partitioned hard drive as i heard xp has some compatability issues with older games. But when i found an old space fighter game which came bundled wit our old pc i could not get it to wrok properly. its called Wing Comander 3: Heart Of The Tiger, i even tried the xp compatability thing.
Game was on windows 95 on old pc but the main problem is now that itsays that i ned to remove some disc caching software to make game work properly as now it is struggling at 10 fps ingame.

i also have Hi-Octane it has the opposite problem at runing at about 4 times the usual rate

i know my descriptions are vague but becasue thats im not sure what else to say.

Any help would be appreciated

PS i know for a fact my new pc isnt broken or slow, it was recently checked over by a pro but he was unable to tell me how to fix the compatability problem andadvised me to post my problem here

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,593 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:04 AM

Posted 21 August 2004 - 08:39 PM

Wing Commander may need a dos boot disk to run properly. Not sure how well it run natively in windows mode.

As for the games that run to fast you can this program called moslo:

http://www.hpaa.com/moslo/

#3 FdjC

FdjC
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 77 posts
  •  

Posted 22 August 2004 - 07:14 AM

thank you but do you know how to create a boot disk for wing commander as it asks me to make one and when i insert the 3.5 floppy nothing happens and the game often freezes. I have even tried rebooting win 98 in dos mode but nothing happens and the command promts ask to type in the directory of the disc drive and as i have a partitioned hard drive its called D: not C: but the command promt does not recognise it.

#4 FdjC

FdjC
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 77 posts
  •  

Posted 22 August 2004 - 04:25 PM

in win 98 its ok but i can access both drivees from xp but thats not my problem anymore i know now whch to use C: or D: where appropiate but this moslo thing i cant get to work at all. please help!

#5 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,593 posts
  •  

Posted 23 August 2004 - 01:06 PM

What problems are you having with moslo?

#6 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,593 posts
  •  

Posted 23 August 2004 - 01:06 PM

What problems are you having with moslo?

#7 FdjC

FdjC
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 77 posts
  •  

Posted 23 August 2004 - 03:50 PM

i cant actually get it working at all an error comes up saying i have typed the location of the .exe file i want to open wrong but i have tried the 3 different ways the readme says to use.

#8 FdjC

FdjC
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 77 posts
  •  

Posted 23 August 2004 - 03:52 PM

ps how do you create a boot disk for wing commander? the auto boot disk creator wont work

#9 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,593 posts
  •  

Posted 23 August 2004 - 06:20 PM

Download this bootdisk:

http://csislabs.palomar.edu/Student/Utilities/boot622.exe

Run the program and follow the instructions

#10 FdjC

FdjC
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 77 posts
  •  

Posted 24 August 2004 - 09:31 AM

i have tried to use this boot disk nut am afraid that i dont know what file i should be trying to open. it says A:\> and i have tried to get most files working but they dont get into WC3 i also tried this so it would read the cd drive instead A:\>D:\> but no luck as of yet. in the command promyt thing i cant (when n dos mode) get it to regognise any drives except floopy and hard drive.

#11 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,593 posts
  •  

Posted 24 August 2004 - 02:53 PM

You would type :

c: and then enter to go to the c: drive, or d: to get to the d: drive.

Then I really cant tell you what to do as I am unfamiliar with the game

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users