Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

New odd happening

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 4,125 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:03 AM

Posted 03 April 2009 - 11:54 AM

I just upgraded to Adobe 9.1, now when I start the computer the Adobe folder opens on the desk top. Not a big deal but it should not happen. All else is fine no glitches anywhere, any ideas how to keep the folder from opening on the desk top?

Phil

(Moderator edit and note: Added Topic Description and moved thread to more appropriate forum. jgw)

Edited by jgweed, 04 April 2009 - 09:14 AM.

Honesty & Integrity Above All!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Zllio

Zllio

• Members
  • 1,107 posts
  •  

Posted 03 April 2009 - 02:34 PM

Hi OldPhil,

Is there a setting to have it open at startup, or when you connect to the internet or something like this?

Zllio

#3 Go_Figure

Go_Figure

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 03 April 2009 - 02:58 PM

Check your registry.

Specifically HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run

There will be an adobe program there such as Adobe Reader Speed Launcher and the data value will be C:\Program Files\Adobe\....

I don't know exactly what 9 puts in the run entry but it is important that the data value be enclosed in quotation marks "C:\Program Files\Adobe\..."

Otherwise it will cause the folder to popup on the desktop.

Hope this helps.

#4 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4,125 posts
  •  

Posted 03 April 2009 - 03:34 PM

Had no trouble finding it but am a little puzzled about where exactly to place the quotation marks! I am comfy in the reg when I have direction, I am probably a little dense on this one!!!!

Phil

#5 Zllio

Zllio

• Members
  • 1,107 posts
  •  

Posted 06 April 2009 - 11:04 AM

Hi OldPhil,

What he means is to go to Start > Run and type in regedit and click on ok. The registry will open up. Make sure all of the keys are condensed so you can see the one you need which is HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run

Click on the + next to each of these until you finally come to Run. Then click on the word Run itself. On the right side you'll see some entries. See if there is one for Adobe 9.1. It will have a path file like C:\Program Files\Adobe\ and then something relating to Adobe 9.1

You can see other examples there of other programs you have on your computer.
To put quotations around it, look at the whole entry. Over towards the left of that half of the registry window you should see the word Adobe. Right-click on it and select Modify.
A window will open up where one of the entry bars is called Value Data. Enter " marks at the beginning of this entry and following the .exe
You can look at another entry to see how they look. Sometimes there will be an extra instruction following the .exe like MSRun or -atboottime, but the quotation will be just after the .exe
After you've made the change, click okay.
If this doesn't stop the problem you had, you can go back and re-edit the change you made and take the quotation marks back out.

Hope this works.
Zllio

#6 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4,125 posts
  •  

Posted 06 April 2009 - 11:51 AM

The quotation marks were already there, will need to poke around some more. It is more of an annoyance then anything else.

Phil

#7 Zllio

Zllio

• Members
  • 1,107 posts
  •  

Posted 07 April 2009 - 11:14 AM

Hi OldPhil,
could you post a screen shot of the open folder? Is it opening the program or the folder the program is in?

#8 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4,125 posts
  •  

Posted 07 April 2009 - 02:22 PM

Hi OldPhil,
could you post a screen shot of the open folder? Is it opening the program or the folder the program is in?

Hi no it is not opening the program just the folder with the contents of the program, not sure if O can do a screen shot. It looks like any other folder after you click its icon.

Phil

#9 Zllio

Zllio

• Members
  • 1,107 posts
  •  

Posted 07 April 2009 - 03:00 PM

See this as the next one and see if it helps:

http://www.acrobatusers.com/forums/aucbb/v...ic.php?id=16074

Also, I found another instance referring to the quotes in the registry. The instructions from GoFigure only asked you to look under HKEY LOCAL MACHINE, but there may be another one under the run key or the run once key in the HKEY CURRENT USER KEY. See the following link about this same problem with the Dell folder:

http://windowsxp.mvps.org/dellfolder.htm

Did either of these help?

#10 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4,125 posts
  •  

Posted 07 April 2009 - 04:10 PM

Thanks for your diligence! I tried all of the tips in the other forums, deleted AIR, deleted Adobe.com rebooted and like a slap in the face instead of the folder being maybe 8X10 like every boot since the upgrade it filled the screen like it was busting my chops!!!

Phil

#11 Guest_Jay-P VIP_*

Guest_Jay-P VIP_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 07 April 2009 - 10:29 PM

Use Foxit Reader?

Foxit.com

#12 Zllio

Zllio

• Members
  • 1,107 posts
  •  

Posted 08 April 2009 - 11:27 AM

Thanks for your diligence! I tried all of the tips in the other forums, deleted AIR, deleted Adobe.com rebooted and like a slap in the face instead of the folder being maybe 8X10 like every boot since the upgrade it filled the screen like it was busting my chops!!!

Phil

:thumbsup: oh dear!

#13 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4,125 posts
  •  

Posted 15 April 2009 - 09:57 PM

Use Foxit Reader?

Foxit.com

Thanks for the Foxit tip it is like lightening, seems to be a great program. Now to see if the darn Adobe.com folder still appears!!! I deleted Adobe 9 which is an over bloated pig!

Phil

#14 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4,125 posts
  •  

Posted 16 April 2009 - 08:29 AM

Well I booted up this AM and the Adobe.com folder was still Glaring at me, I searched Explorer and the Registry to try to find the start up item. I had gone through this search a few times before to no avail, even though I had used Disk Clean up to remove the Adobe 9 program the folders still existed in Explorer. Tries to delete the folder but was denied access, I then remembered a something a techy buddy told me. Start from the bottom!! I opened each branch of the folder until all of its folders were open, I then started from the bottom working up to the top with total success. I had Adobe 6, 7 and 9 on my drive they are all gone now as is the PIA Adobe.com folder. The tip about starting from the bottom is well worth remembering, it may not work in all cases especially when you get the "in use" but it did the trick for me!

P.S. I have done quite a bit of fooling around with Foxit, both on the web and opening every PDF on my machine. It is nothing short of amazing, the speed it startling as is the preciseness.
Another thank you to Jay-P VIP for giving me the tip!

Phil

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users