Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Explorere.EXE - Application Error

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 BahhxHumBuGz

BahhxHumBuGz

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:25 PM

Posted 15 June 2005 - 07:05 PM

Hi there. Earlier today, I got the Smitfraud screen on my desktop background. I didn't know what it was at the time and assumed it was a legit warning. So I started up MacAfee's Virus Scan, scanned my computer, and quarantined the files that came up. Well, I was able to change my desktop background again, so I assumed it was the end of that.

Then, I tried to install a game and it froze on me at around 80%. It wasn't going anywhere, so I cancelled the installation. Then my Taskbar disappeared, so I think something happened with the explorer.exe. Usually, it comes back, but this time it didn't, so I rebooted.

Next thing I know, I've got the Smitfraud Screen again, but this time there's nothing else. There's no taskbar, nothing. Just that screen and an error warning that says:

Explorer.EXE - Application Error
The application failed to initialize properly (0xc0000005). Click on OK to terminate the application

Well, I have no choice but to click OK and that just leaves me with the blue Smitfraud screen. I can't do anything. I've searched on the net and rebooted in safemode and tried many methods to get rid of it, but nothing works.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Edited by BahhxHumBuGz, 15 June 2005 - 07:05 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 goldenc08

goldenc08

• Members
  • 47 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:25 PM

Posted 15 June 2005 - 07:46 PM

i would check your firwall settings for those pop ups i had a similer problem once i think hope this helps

#3 BahhxHumBuGz

BahhxHumBuGz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:25 PM

Posted 15 June 2005 - 08:40 PM

i would check your firwall settings for those pop ups i had a similer problem once i think hope this helps

Thanks for the response. I checked my firewall settings and I recognize all the programs allowed. Unless you mean to turn it off?

I don't know much about computers, but I don't think getting rid of the error alert is the solution. Even without it, I don't think my computer can run in normal mode.

#4 Rimmer

Rimmer

• Members
  • 2,159 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:25 AM

Posted 16 June 2005 - 01:13 AM

There is a guide for removing Smitfraud in the BC Self Help forum :
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/How...aid-t17258.html

OR if you are not comfortable attempting that you can submit an HJT Log and one of the expert volunteers will guide you through the process.
Please read the pinned posts 'How to use this Forum' and 'How to post a HiJack This log' at the top of the forum:
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/Hij...alysis-f22.html

hth :thumbsup:

Soltek QBIC, Pentium 4 3.0GHz, 512MB RAM, 200GB SATA HDD, ATI Radeon 9600XT 256MB, Netgear 54Mb/s WAP, ridiculously expensive Satellite Broadband
Windows XP Home SP2, Trend Micro Internet Security, Firefox, Thunderbird, AdAwareSE, Spybot S&D, SpywareBlaster, A-squared Free, Ewido Security Suite.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users