Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Searches on Google pointing to ad websites, cmd prompt not working

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 jimjzg

jimjzg

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:56 AM

Posted 03 April 2009 - 08:15 AM

I believe my problem started when I attempted to install a Firefox extension to capture streaming video (original link was reviews.cnet.com/4520-11327_7-6555399-1.html).

The installation aborted because it said my version of Firefox was not supported, however since then I am having a rash of problems such as:
1. When I click on a Google search result my browser (IE or FF) is directed to an ad website. Hitting the back button takes me to the desired site.
2. Bleepingcomputer.com and other websites return not found errors.
3. The command prompt will not work. When I click on it he screen "flashes" but the window never opens.
4. I cannot open regedit

I have run scans using my installed Trend Micro and also scanned with MalwareBytes andSuperAntiSpyware. None report any probelms.

Thanks in advance for any help you can give

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jimjzg

jimjzg
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:56 AM

Posted 03 April 2009 - 10:45 AM

After reviewing some other posts I ran across a fix for this problem.
Malwarebytes was not being updated because the trojans on the computer were blocking the update process.

Following the process about installing MBAM on an un-infected computer, updating it and transfering "rules.ref" as outlined in the post at [malwarebytes.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=6844] allowed me to update Malwarebytes, run its scan and fix the problem!

All the issues I noted appear to be corrected.
I can now run regedit, searches work correctly and sites are no longer blocked.

I would highly recommend anyone having similar problems try this tool.
It is excellent.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users