Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Disappearing downloads in windows vista

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 26sw905

26sw905

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:31 PM

Posted 03 April 2009 - 07:41 AM

The problem I'm having is that when i download absolutely anything from the internet (applications , music etc) the download dialogue box appears and downloads the data then the copy phase will try to copy from the temp folder to the destination folder ( I always use the desktop for this). Then for no reason the file appears briefly and then disappears never to be seen again. When I run a search for the item it can't be found in any folder or directory and it appears to have been deleted . my system has windows vista home premium OEM as an O/S , AVG internet security as anti-virus and firewall with Spybot search & destroy for malware.
I have never had viruses , malware or any sort of problem in that dept. as i'm savvy to the internet and the threats involved with being online. I use internet explorer 7 and firefox as browsers and the same problem exists with both , but if i run the program as admin the problem seems to be intermittent , I'm not convinced that running any browser as admin is the safest way to browse . Can anyone shed any light on this annoying problem?

Brian.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 04 April 2009 - 11:01 AM

When you're using Firefox and you go to Tools>Downloads, does it show that they have been downloaded?
Also read this comment:

Why does Internet Explorer want to download stuff to a Downloads folder? What is Downloads? Where is it? How do find it? (Yes, I know it's in the home folder, but the average user won't know that.) When I download something, how come it disappears? Why doesn't the Downloads window open when the download is complete? Why isn't Downloads on the Start Menu if it's the default in IE? Was the desktop too logical and commonly-used a destination?
www.winsupersite.com

Edited by garmanma, 04 April 2009 - 11:01 AM.

Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#3 26sw905

26sw905
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 06 April 2009 - 11:26 AM

Yes it does show the file as being downloaded but when i try to open or run the specified file , the properties say o bytes so i'm not sure what has actually been downloaded just a shell of the file that i downloaded or a containing folder.....The same thing appears to happen when i try downloading an update in windows update using any browser... thoughts please , i have tried switching default browsers but the result is the same . Theres also not much on the web that points to a clear answer.

HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Brian..

#4 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 06 April 2009 - 03:28 PM

it's in the home folder, on the Desktop

Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users