Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Open Programs

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 lar212

lar212

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:40 AM

Posted 03 April 2009 - 07:31 AM

Hi, I'm Lar212, new to this site and pretty new to solving my computer's problems. Resently bought DriverCure and downloaded all the new/updated software for my HP pavilon 8000 laptop. Since then, it has been running even slower and now there is a program that shows running everytime I and/or a co-user of the computer log on to our parts of the computer (so 2 programs running if both are logged on).

Any ideas on how to find which programs are active and how to turn them off so I can make my computer run faster again?

Thanks....

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Keithuk

Keithuk

• Members
  • 960 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:40 PM

Posted 03 April 2009 - 09:15 AM

Welcome to BC lar.

Any ideas on how to find which programs are active and how to turn them off so I can make my computer run faster again?

What makes you think this a programming problem? I think you've posted in the wrong forum.

You haven't stated your operating system. If you want to find what process are running then I suggest you use Process Explorer its free. There is another program that I would suggest but I'm not allowed to tell you about it on here. :thumbsup:

Keith

Windows ME (spare computer)
Windows XP 2002 Professional SP3 (desktop computer)
Windows 7 Professional SP1 32bit (laptop computer)

Windows 8 64bit spare drive for laptop computer

#3 burn1337

burn1337

• Banned
  • 311 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:40 AM

Posted 04 April 2009 - 05:21 PM

As keithuk said you have not stated your os.... With windows use Ctrl+Alt+Delete... Go the the processes tab... With Linux... open your terminal and type "ps -A"
Good luck...

#4 Keithuk

Keithuk

• Members
  • 960 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:40 PM

Posted 05 April 2009 - 04:08 AM

With windows use Ctrl+Alt+Delete... Go the the processes tab...

Yes but you still won't see everything thats running e.g. dll's in processes whereas Process Explorer does. :thumbsup:

Keith

Windows ME (spare computer)
Windows XP 2002 Professional SP3 (desktop computer)
Windows 7 Professional SP1 32bit (laptop computer)

Windows 8 64bit spare drive for laptop computer

#5 lar212

lar212
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:40 AM

Posted 05 April 2009 - 08:11 AM

Thanks guys, tried the alt, cont, del. Except for system idyle process, CPU use was zero on everything else. I'll try to download Process Explorer later today. Wish me luck. Lar

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users