Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Unable to open pdf attachment in Outlook 2003

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Luser

Luser

• Members
  • 47 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:27 PM

Posted 03 April 2009 - 02:25 AM

I got 3 clients that get the a similar problem.

All can't open some .PDF attachments from within Outlook 2003

Acrobat reader 9.1 (updated to this date)
MS Outlook 2003 (updated to this date)
Windows XP pro (SP3 all updated)

When trying to open document you get "wrong version or damage" message from acrobat reader.
They have forward the mail to me (The Administrator) and i have no problem what so ever to open it and read it.

My first tip was to save it onto there computer but that dident work, they ended up with a filename.PDF that was 0 in size.

What iw tried so far.

-Making the user a member of the local administrator group, so that if acrobat or outlook needed to install something this would be possible. (this did not work so i change em back to normal user)
-Empty the Outlook TEMP folder (only shown from within the registry, and this didn't help at all)
-Check rights on TEMP folders
-Installed language packs, if there where a font problem. (think the document is from Russia or something)

The problem seems to be Outlook oriented. because if i use the exchange webmail and open the pdf that way it opens just fine.

Any one got a similar experiance with a sulotion ?
Dont want to have problems with your computer?
Solution : install a good free anti virus, anti spyware & and stay away from misleading applications. Update your OS and vital programs as often as you can, to shut down those open security holes.
Stay away from shareware and trailware applications, avoid installing browser addins and toolbars. Read up on things before trying new applications.

Learn more about : Viruses, malmware & trojans | Need a bootdisk? | Want to know what that EventID mean? | Cybercrimes what is that?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Eric RBA

Eric RBA

• Members
  • 252 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:27 PM

Posted 03 April 2009 - 07:59 AM

Is it possible that there is embedded Java script in the file? I know of other issues with this and there is a box to check off in the Preferences under Java Script. This option recently drew some concern from Adobe though because of a potential malicious code exploit, so I'd wonder about those PDF's from Russia.

Not sure if this advice will help, I hope you get it resolved.
I would never ask a person to do something that I wouldn't do myself.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users