Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Disk Check?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 timesking

timesking

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:10 PM

Posted 03 April 2009 - 12:49 AM

hello..

every time i shutdown n start again, Disk Check is done.. i allow it everytime.. it performs 3 stage checks.. n show no errors.. the drive is fine, shows no errors.. why does it perform again n again . . ? its suppose to not check again once i allow it to check when i reboot .. pls tel me wats the reason for this?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Guest_Jay-P VIP_*

Guest_Jay-P VIP_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 03 April 2009 - 01:02 AM

Hello!

First of all, I want to reference some grammar issues. Just read the board rules, by clicking the link in my signature below. Read the seventh bulleted item, please. Thank you!

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?...b;en-us;Q160963

The link listed above can be your friend. This utility will help disable automatic running of CHKDSK. However, follow this article from time to time so that you can do CHKDSK manually. This is one of the best workarounds.

If you have any questions, or the above option did not work, then post back here!

edit: typo

Edited by Jay-P VIP, 03 April 2009 - 01:03 AM.

#3 Stang777

Stang777

Just Hoping To Help

• Members
  • 1,821 posts
  •  

Posted 03 April 2009 - 01:06 AM

Are you running an HP scanner? Sometimes not having the correct driver for that can cause check disk to run at startup.

You can also try this, go into the My Computer folder, right click on the disk, then click properties and click on tools. Then under Error Checking, click check now. In the box that opens check both boxes (probably only need to click the bottom but might as well click both). When it says something about having to reboot to do it, reboot and let it run all the way through.

That MIGHT take care of the problem, it has for others. The only reason I am thinking it might not take care of it is that when you have let it run on its own at startup, it has not found any errors, but it cannot hurt to try it and it might work

Edited by Stang777, 03 April 2009 - 01:21 AM.

#4 Stang777

Stang777

Just Hoping To Help

• Members
  • 1,821 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:40 AM

Posted 03 April 2009 - 01:09 AM

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?...b;en-us;Q160963

[/i]

According to that article, it only applies to these versions of windows....

Microsoft Windows 2000 Server
Microsoft Windows 2000 Advanced Server
Microsoft Windows 2000 Professional Edition
Microsoft Windows 2000 Datacenter Server
Microsoft Windows NT Workstation 4.0 Developer Edition
Microsoft Windows NT Server 4.0 Standard Edition
Microsoft Windows Server 2003 Service Pack 1
Microsoft Windows Server 2003, Datacenter Edition (32-bit x86)
Microsoft Windows Server 2003, Enterprise Edition (32-bit x86)
Microsoft Windows Server 2003, Standard Edition (32-bit x86)
Microsoft Windows Server 2003, Web Edition

Edited by Stang777, 03 April 2009 - 01:10 AM.

#5 Guest_Jay-P VIP_*

Guest_Jay-P VIP_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 03 April 2009 - 01:19 AM

The article did not get updated. The article should be useful.

I can use CHKNTFS.exe in Windows Vista.

Try it, it should work with you, too.

Microsoft articles are like that. Sometimes a little testing can prove the article wrong. That is why that little feedback is at the bottom of the support pages so you can tell them if it works on a system not listed. Stay cool, friend!

Edited by Jay-P VIP, 03 April 2009 - 01:20 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users