I can't say I've treated this thing like a server security-wise, and I've had a couple of infections, but I've had no trouble fixing them on my own.
However, a few days ago, my browser started randomly redirecting to bogus pages (that are usually somewhat "related" to my search) when clicking on Google results. If I use the back button and click on the result again it always takes me to the right page. But almost every time I click on a new result (but not always) it redirects me to another page.
That's what first tipped me off.
So, I did what I always do when my anti-virus program doesn't catch it. I download Spybot S&D.
It installed fine, but when I run the actual program it starts, and shows up in the process list, but hangs, shows 0 CPU usage, and the GUI never appears.
This is the first application that this happened with. So, I downloaded Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware and installed that. I run it and the exact same thing happens.
At this point I'm wondering what it could have possibly been that I had downloaded that gave me the bugger while I download and install HJT!. I go through the HJT! log and find some minorly suspicious things that I remove, but no executables that I can't identify.
And now I must admit that I have come across something that I can't fix Here's one for you guys!
The virus also causes attempts to defragment hard disks to fail with the error message "Disk Defragmenter could not start."
I successfully got Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware and Spybot to run by changing the names of their executable files on the disk!! I'm running full scans now. I'll post back with the results.
EDIT: Moved the HJT! log to an attachment because it was making the page too wide.
EDIT 2: Added more info
Edited by Cannotcompute, 03 April 2009 - 02:46 AM.