Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Unexpected sluggishness...Odd

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 sprocket10

sprocket10

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:49 PM

Posted 02 April 2009 - 11:13 PM

Hi all,

I'm an XP Pro user. I can usually work my way out of computer problems, but i'm really stuck this time. I'm here for help because my usual fixes aren't helping. I have read through some threads here, but I can't find anything that resembles my problem.

My Dell E1505 laptop has unexpectedly (few weeks ago) started to load my most common program (such as firefox and microsoft office programs) significantly slower (5+ mins before loading). I've been using Spybot, Spywareblaster and CCleaner for years as my main defense against PC problems. I cannot find anything w/ those programs (+ defrag and erasing files off my hard drive) that helps w/ speed.

Dell E1505
Dual Core T2300 1.66Ghz
2 GB 800 MHz RAM

The only program I've installed since then is the new University antivirus: Trend Micro.

I've run ccleaner and spybot several times to check for problems. No problems. I cleaned about 15-20 GB off my 60GB hard drive to defrag (I didn't have the recommended 15% free). I have trimmed my startup list down to the essentials. Only ONE thing besides the speed has changed. I've noticed I sometimes get a very brief flash on my screen every 5-10 mins. I don't know any other way to describe it other than a verticla "blip" (if you blink you'll miss it). I was thinking it could have something to do with the fact that I use an additional monitor with my laptop now (dual screen). I figured maybe the graphics card was refreshing it or something, but I really don't know much about that.

I believe something has changed because just a month ago everything was fine. Now, when I open a Word or Excel file it takes about 5 mins to open it fully. It's a drag!

I can provide logs as needed. Not sure where to start. Help Please!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Stang777

Stang777

Just Hoping To Help

• Members
  • 1,821 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:49 PM

Posted 02 April 2009 - 11:57 PM

If the problem started after you hooked up the other monitor, I would unhook it and see if that fixes it. If it has nothing to do with that, I would start by using System Restore to restore the system to before this problem started by using a restore point that was created before this problem started. If you do have System Restore enabled or any restore points that go back that far, I would scan with Malwarebytes and SuperAntiSpyware. Both those programs seem to find more things than Spybot does. Seems to me that SuperAntiSpyware finds more things than Malwarebytes but Malwarebytes can find things that the other one does not. If either program finds any viruses or such, I would post the logs in the "Am I Infected" section of this forum and describe your problems and ask for help there. Here is the link to that section....

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/f/103/am-i-infected-what-do-i-do/

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users