Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Rebuild from 1000Mz Gateway.

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Clinton J Biediger

Clinton J Biediger

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:59 PM

Posted 02 April 2009 - 10:08 PM

I have a 4-5 year old 1000 Mz Gateway computer that has decided it doesn't want to cooperate any more. I'm looking to replace the Motherboard/processor and memory, using as much of the other origional hardware as possible. Here's a list of what's inside:

Intel 1000MHz Pentium III Processor and MB
1 250 Gig IDE HDD
1 40 Gig IDE HDD
1 250 Gig SATA HDD w/controller card ( i think this is correct.)
Nivida 5200 PCI Video Card w/128 onboard memory
384 memory (133)
power supply (don't know size)
2 dvd OOD
mid side tower case.
19 " LCD Monitor

I've been going thru New Egg trying to get ideas about processors and motherboards that are within my price range. Unfortuantely, I don't have a clue as to what would be compatible. I would like to upgrade this, hoping to keep the outlay to about $300-$400, if possible. I've built systems before, but this was when there wasn't such a diversity of what could be put together and still work. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 fairjoeblue

fairjoeblue

• Members
  • 1,594 posts
  •  

Posted 02 April 2009 - 11:10 PM

I have did a few custom builds in older Gateway cases.
The cases are VERY proprietary .

Depending on the exact model you may be further ahead by starting your build with a new [non proprietary] case.

[Most people seem to think they need some super duper expensive case but the reality is an inexpensive one can work just as well.
I have a nice looking inexpensive case that came with a 140mm rear fan [which is actually why I bought the case] , front USB,sound, & mic. .
It does the exact same thing a expensive case does.]

With that said from what you listed the 250GB SATA HD is about the only thing that really salvagable.
You might use a DVD drive too .

The rest of it is simply too outdated to be compatible with new stuff .

As for recommending parts we would need to know what you [realistically] intend to use the computer for & what you're willing to spend .

Edited by fairjoeblue, 02 April 2009 - 11:12 PM.

OCZ StealthXstream 700W,Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3R , E8500, Arctic Freezer Pro 7, 3GB G.Skill PC8500,Gigabyte Radeon HD 4850 OC [1GB ], Seagate 250GB SATA II X2 in RAID 0, Samsung SATA DVD burner.

#3 dpunisher

dpunisher

• BC Advisor
  • 2,234 posts
  •  

Posted 02 April 2009 - 11:23 PM

With that said from what you listed the 250GB SATA HD is about the only thing that really salvagable.
You might use a DVD drive too .

The rest of it is simply too outdated to be compatible with new stuff .

That summed it up.

I am a retired Ford tech. Next to Fords, any computer is a piece of cake. (The cake, its not a lie)

3770K @4.5, Corsair H100, GTX780, 16gig Samsung, Obsidian 700 (yes there is a 700)

#4 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:59 PM

Posted 03 April 2009 - 01:41 AM

Agreed. Almost everything there is too old to be compatible with much of anything. You would be better off building or purchasing a new PC.

3939.png

#5 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,763 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:59 PM

Posted 03 April 2009 - 02:54 AM

I had an old Gateway tower, huge beast, thought about turning it into a server once, cuz of all the cooling room. popped it open to find out gateway put the motherboard mountings on the wrong side of the case so you had to have a custom motherboard for it. ouch. So I gutted it, gave it to my wife who spraypainted it and turned it into a coffee table. More then one way to reuse an old computer! About what their good for. Anyway, I would recomend just building a new system from scratch like these guys recomended.

picard5.jpg

Primary system: Motherboard: ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3, Processor: AMD Phenom II x4 945, Memory: 16 gigs of Patriot G2 DDR3 1600, Video: AMD Sapphire Nitro R9 380, Storage: 1 WD 500 gig HD, 1 Hitachi 500 gig HD, and Power supply: Coolermaster 750 watt, OS: Windows 10 64 bit. 

Media Center: Motherboard: Gigabyte mp61p-S3, Processor: AMD Athlon 64 x2 6000+, Memory: 6 gigs Patriot DDR2 800, Video: Gigabyte GeForce GT730, Storage: 500 gig Hitachi, PSU: Seasonic M1211 620W full modular, OS: Windows 10.

If I don't reply within 24 hours of your reply, feel free to send me a pm.

#6 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,763 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:59 PM

Posted 03 April 2009 - 02:56 AM

oh and the SATA drive is reusable, and so is the 250 gig IDE drive, though I would be tempted to throw that into an external enclosure and use it for backups and the like. Optical drives are reusable if you dont mind IDE cables in your system. maybe the LCD monitor if its decently nice, or as a secondary monitor. Thats what I would reuse if it were me.

picard5.jpg

Primary system: Motherboard: ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3, Processor: AMD Phenom II x4 945, Memory: 16 gigs of Patriot G2 DDR3 1600, Video: AMD Sapphire Nitro R9 380, Storage: 1 WD 500 gig HD, 1 Hitachi 500 gig HD, and Power supply: Coolermaster 750 watt, OS: Windows 10 64 bit. 

Media Center: Motherboard: Gigabyte mp61p-S3, Processor: AMD Athlon 64 x2 6000+, Memory: 6 gigs Patriot DDR2 800, Video: Gigabyte GeForce GT730, Storage: 500 gig Hitachi, PSU: Seasonic M1211 620W full modular, OS: Windows 10.

If I don't reply within 24 hours of your reply, feel free to send me a pm.

#7 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:59 PM

Posted 03 April 2009 - 11:48 AM

If you do decide to reuse the old IDE drive, pay special attention to the motherboard specifications as many manufacturers are reducing the number of IDE connections in favor of SATA.

3939.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users