Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

complete crash, everything gone?

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 troybob

troybob

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:24 PM

Posted 15 June 2005 - 05:00 PM

Yeah, big problems here. I'm not so much of a novice to computers, but more to winxp. I was always fixing problems on 98 so I knew what to do when things went wrong, but I have no idea with xp.

I'll try and keep this short, but detailed enough. If I leave something important out ask away.

I was running winXP professional and I thought had all the latest service packs and security updates as the manager didn't show any new to download, but I am realizing with reloading things that I didn't at all. I think I might have only had the first service pack and not the second, probably why I was having so many problems with spyware.

What happened - I had gotten a few of the really bad spywares, a few viruses, a trojan downloader-hid that I think messed up a registry. Almost every time I would try and shut the computer down it would go to the blue screen and restart.

I downloaded tuneup utilities 2004 by tuneup software from download.com which had good user reviews and I liked all the utilities it had with it. I ran most of the clean up programs and didn't have any problems and then I ran the registry optimizer/defragmenter and right as it started to defrag it my computer bluescreened and restarted (oh hell no). It started up fine and the utility came up and said the registry had been defragmented and I thought hey, maybe it's okay. Stupid me before backing anything up or going back to a saved point restarts it again to see if it's fine. Nope. I get the error on start up that the file WINDOWS\system32\config\system is corrupt or missing, and something about I can try and fix it by hitting r using my original setup disk.

I tried pretty much everything, but it won't even show any restore points or anything, reload to a restore point or even mention anything about restoring to a restore point or doing any such thing that would actualy help fix my computer. I have no idea how to use the r function once I get there, I'm familiar with DOS but I can't seem to get anywhere with it and I have no idea what I am doing. The automated recovery asks for a recovery disk that windows xp doesn't ask if you want to make before hand and I'm pretty ticked with the tuneup company.

I loaded windows in a different directory so I could get online to try and find a way to fix it, but I think it may be hopeless. The only thing I really want are the files in my my documents folder, but access is denied of course. Is there any way to get around that so I can get my files? They are still there, but because of how xp works I don't have access rights now from a different user and I can't log in as the origional user as I only can from that windows setup which is corrupt.

Shouldn't there be those restore points on my computer? I know they were there. It just seems that they got thrown out the window when things crashed. All the file systems are still there, I didn't write over them or delete them, but I have no idea how to fix things or even if it can be fixed.

Please help, I think I already pulled out some hair and I don't want to go bald. :thumbsup:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Leurgy

Leurgy

Voted most likely

• Members
  • 3,831 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:24 PM

Posted 15 June 2005 - 05:26 PM

Hello troybob and welcome to BC.

and something about I can try and fix it by hitting r using my original setup disk.

That is the prompt to go to the Recovery Console. See How to access the Recovery Console.

When the only tool you own is a hammer, every problem begins to resemble a nail. Abraham Maslo

**** We use our powers for good, not evil ****

Trying to remove your data from the web is like trying to remove pee from a swimming pool

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users