Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

My Dell Optiplex GZ115 Won't Boot

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 gregorcarp

gregorcarp

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:52 AM

Posted 02 April 2009 - 08:39 PM

I'm running Windows 2000, but when I turned on the computer today it will not get past the above mentioned screen. It also displays:

Primary hard drive disc 0 not found

Secondary hard drive disc 0 not found

No boot device available-
strike F1 to retry boot, F2 for setup utility

I have not done anything different to the computer (that I'm aware of) since I turned it off a couple of days ago. I tried putting a Window's installation disc in the CD/ROM drive to see if it would boot from that, but nothing changed.
Could it be some kind of virus or malware?

All suggestions are appreciated!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Joshuacat

Joshuacat

01001010 01000011

• Members
  • 1,950 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:52 AM

Posted 03 April 2009 - 09:59 AM

If you go into the System utilities, does it show the Primary hard drive disc 0 set to AUTO?
With your computer, can you hit f12 at boot up to run the IDE diagnostics?
Do you have a diagnostic CD that came with your computer?
JC

#3 gregorcarp

gregorcarp
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 03 April 2009 - 03:59 PM

Thank you for reponding to my problem! To answer your questions:
1. I set the Hard drives to Auto
2. When I hit F12 on bootup it says it is booting up from the "network", but nothing happens
3. I don't have the diagnostic CD (I bought the computer used).

An update; I tried booting the computer from a Windows 2000 installation disc last night. It began repairing the currently installed operating system, but created an error message (failed to install properly?) after about 3 hours of loading/installing.
After I set the hard drives to "Auto" I now get to the Windows 2000 starting screen, but it won't go beyond that. Progress, maybe?

Again, thank you for your help with this!

#4 Joshuacat

Joshuacat

01001010 01000011

• Members
  • 1,950 posts
  •  

Posted 03 April 2009 - 04:22 PM

Definitely progressing...but, I still think you should download the Diagnostic Utility from Dell to test your hard disk and all other internal components :
This will rule-out a hardware issue.
Drivers and Downloads
JC

#5 gregorcarp

gregorcarp
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 03 April 2009 - 08:36 PM

I downloaded the Diagnostic Utility program to a CD, but I'm not sure how to get it on to the computer. Do I just put it in the CD drive and reboot?

Thx

#6 kenjiemichael

kenjiemichael

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:52 AM

Posted 03 April 2009 - 10:00 PM

try using your windows installer to boot your computer.
try to learn recovery console use chkdsk /r that will repair your computer HDD.

I guess your having problem with your HDD.
Good luck.

#7 Joshuacat

Joshuacat

01001010 01000011

• Members
  • 1,950 posts
  •  

Posted 04 April 2009 - 06:52 AM

This version creates a set of diskettes. There is instructions available from another source create a bootable diagnostic CD, but I think the diskette option is easier. But, for reference here it is. -- Create a Bootable Diagnostic CD
JC

#8 Dev Mgr

Dev Mgr

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:52 AM

Posted 07 April 2009 - 12:24 PM

I'm running Windows 2000, but when I turned on the computer today it will not get past the above mentioned screen. It also displays:

Primary hard drive disc 0 not found

Secondary hard drive disc 0 not found

No boot device available-
strike F1 to retry boot, F2 for setup utility

I have not done anything different to the computer (that I'm aware of) since I turned it off a couple of days ago. I tried putting a Window's installation disc in the CD/ROM drive to see if it would boot from that, but nothing changed.
Could it be some kind of virus or malware?

All suggestions are appreciated!

I've worked with these systems in the past. This is exactly what happens when one of the ATA drives is faulty; the other disappears with it.

Most of the times it's the harddrive that's bad. I'd suggest to disconnect the harddrive and power it up. You'll still see the "Primary hard drive disc 0 not found", but once in the bios you'll want to confirm if the CDROM is seen. If the CDROM is recognized in the bios I'd start looking for a replacement ATA drive and your install CDs. You can try disconnecting the CDROM and connecting the harddrive on that cable (same connector on the cable as where the CDROM was to make sure you have a working cable/connector) to see if maybe the harddrive shows up, but I'd say there's probably an 80+% chance you have a bad/failed harddrive.

#9 gregorcarp

gregorcarp
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 07 April 2009 - 02:02 PM

I'm crying "UNCLE"!
Thank you all who responded to this. I didn't have a lot of money invested in the computer, so I'm just going to replace it with another.

#10 Joshuacat

Joshuacat

01001010 01000011

• Members
  • 1,950 posts
  •  

Posted 07 April 2009 - 03:12 PM

Okay, thanks for letting us know. Sometimes it's nice to have an excuse to buy a new computer. :thumbsup:
Take care.
JC

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users