Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Using Eboostr to get spare RAM...bad for USBs?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 nukie

nukie

• Members
  • 46 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:41 AM

Posted 02 April 2009 - 07:29 PM

Okay so I use Eboostr on my computer to make up for my out of date RAM. Eboostr uses spare memory in USB and then uses it for RAM. Dont know how it works but it does.

But recently Ive seen people say that Using programs like that would screw up your USB... would anyone care to enlighten me?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Sterling14

Sterling14

• Members
  • 1,842 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:41 AM

Posted 06 April 2009 - 07:07 PM

I don't know too much about this topic, but I would think it's alright.

Maybe they're saying if you pull the usb drive out without properly disconnecting it in windows first can damage the drive. Pulling it out while it's running is really bad for it.
"I think there is a world market for maybe five computers." - Thomas Watson, Chairman of IBM, 1943

#3 Platypus

Platypus

• 14,243 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:41 AM

Posted 06 April 2009 - 09:36 PM

It is intended to work in a similar fashion to the ReadyBoost on Vista.

The main concern is that Flash drives have a limited number of read/write cycles, and heavy usage such as this will use up the potential life of the device quickly. How quickly depends on the quality of the Flash RAM in the device, whether it has internal wear levelling etc.

Top 5 things that never get done:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users