Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows Update Broken by Malware

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Badly Bleeping

Badly Bleeping

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:28 AM

Posted 02 April 2009 - 06:04 PM

I'm using Windows XP 32-bit, SP3.

After being infected by some viruses, which I have since removed with Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware and Combofix, I have found that Windows Update doesn't work anymore.

When I go to the Windows Update link in the Security tab of Internet Explorer 8, it brings me to the Windows Update page at Microsoft, where it asks if you want to update Express or Custom speed. After I click "Express," it brings me to an error page stating: "The website has encountered a problem and cannot display the page you are trying to view. The options provided below might help you solve the problem. [Error number: 0x80070002]"

Looking into the problem, I discovered that Automatic Updates and the Background Intelligent Transfer Service were both needed to use Windows Update. When I tried to start either of them in services.msc, I get:

"Could not start the [program] service on Local Computer.

Error 2: The system cannot find the file specified."

So, yeah. I guess the problem is either: the files are missing or damaged, or the registry for the files was corrupted... or something.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,490 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:28 PM

Posted 02 April 2009 - 08:45 PM

Hello you have an open HJT log posted and we cannot help in two forums... Which topic do you want to work? I will close the other. Thank you.
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#3 bluesjunior

bluesjunior

• Members
  • 761 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:28 PM

Posted 02 April 2009 - 08:46 PM

Here's a couple of links which should help.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/922582

http://forums.techarena.in/windows-update/935022.htm
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-MA770T-UD3, CPU: AMD Athlon II X3 450 Processor, Memory: OCZ 4GB (2x2GB) DDR3 1333MHz,Graphics: PowerColor HD 5750 1GB GDDR5,
PSU: Corsair 430W CX PSU 4x SATA 1x PCI-E, Hard Drive:Samsung SpinPoint F3 500GB Hard Drive SATAII 7200rpm 16MB Cache.

#4 Badly Bleeping

Badly Bleeping
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:28 AM

Posted 02 April 2009 - 09:41 PM

Hello you have an open HJT log posted and we cannot help in two forums... Which topic do you want to work? I will close the other. Thank you.

Ah, yes... This is the more important issue. I apologize for the double-help threads.

Here's a couple of links which should help.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/922582

http://forums.techarena.in/windows-update/935022.htm

The first link applies to something I do not think I have (Windows Server 2003), and the second link is about Windows Vista. I'm using Windows XP.

I guess what I'm seeking here is some way to fix the Background Intelligent Transfer and Automatic Update services... if it's possible.

#5 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,490 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:28 PM

Posted 03 April 2009 - 03:12 PM

Another suggestion..

Try the following, you will need your windows XP CD handy.

Press CTRL+SHIFT+ESC
Click on File then select New Task (Run)

Now type , a space between C and /
SFC /SCANNOW

If prompted to insert your Windows CD, do so.
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users