Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

is there such a thing?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 twospeed

twospeed

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:42 PM

Posted 02 April 2009 - 03:41 PM

my question is, is there such a thing as a DOS emulater?

i have a few games of days gone by that i enjoyed playing still, standby type games for when all you want to do is kill a few hours and actually have a touch of fun in the process. i know that some games have patches that you can get , which fixes the one game it was meant for, but not any others. since xp and vista neiter has dos, and most of the games im talking about were cdrom played in dos mode, AND i cant find WORKING patches for them......

so either i find an emulater or install win95 on a second hdd and use the dual boot system, and suffer from 95 not seeing any of my large drives, and all the probs of 95/98/me...

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 BlackSpyder

BlackSpyder

Bleeping Big Rig

• BC Advisor
  • 2,456 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:42 PM

Posted 02 April 2009 - 04:04 PM

DosBox is a good emulator for old games like Doom and Heretic along with other games of the DOS era. http://www.dosbox.com/ it should run in Windows Xp or Vista without any issues (Xp worked for me, haven't tried Vista). There are other options but this is the best for what you want.

Posted Image

#3 Andrew

Andrew

Bleepin' Night Watchman

• 8,260 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:42 PM

Posted 02 April 2009 - 04:18 PM

There's also FreeDOS, should DOSbox not be appropriate for whatever reason.

FreeDOS is a free DOS-compatible operating system for IBM-PC compatible systems. There is already a prebuilt FreeDOS virtual appliance available for download from VMWare. You will also need to have the free VMWare Player program to run the VM.

#4 Elise

Elise

Bleepin' Blonde

• Malware Study Hall Admin
  • 61,428 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:42 AM

Posted 13 April 2009 - 12:01 PM

I should definitely use DOSbox 0.72 if I were you. I am a great DOS-game fan myself and DOSbox works just perfect. Well, sometimes a game just wont work, but lets face it, that can happen. DOSbox lets you configure many options and has CD-rom support, its really easy to use.

regards, Elise

"Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen."

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+ | lockerdome

Malware analyst @ Emsisoft

animinionsmalltext.gif

#5 reece

reece

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:42 AM

Posted 13 April 2009 - 01:56 PM

you do need to know some very basic commands to use dos box but should be no bother to learn

#6 Elise

Elise

Bleepin' Blonde

• Malware Study Hall Admin
  • 61,428 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:42 AM

Posted 13 April 2009 - 02:04 PM

DOSbox has a nice build-in help tool which shows the basic commands. Basically what I do is, I put my game in a special folder C:\Dos, I mount that one in DOSbox, and for most games you need no more commands. I have set my config-file so that DOSbox automatically mounts my DOS-folder and goes to C:\.
The config file is easy to change and explained in the header.

regards, Elise

"Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen."

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+ | lockerdome

Malware analyst @ Emsisoft

animinionsmalltext.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users