Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

RocketFish HD Enclosure not recognized

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Soul_Raven73

Soul_Raven73

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:41 AM

Posted 02 April 2009 - 02:17 PM

Hello,

I wanted to see if anyone can help me with this issue. I purchased a Rocketfish 3.5 EIDE HD enclosure with the main purpose of recovering files from hard drives that I had replaced on my PC. When I connect the enclosure, I get the pop up bubble telling me that my hardware is being installed, then it alerted me that my hardware is ready for use but when I go to the "MyComputer" window, I dont see it.

I have other external HDs such as WD MyBook 500gbs and a Maxtor Central Axis 1tb which work with no issue. I have tried it in all of my USB ports and the same issue occurs, I see the lights working and I can hear the HD is working but I dont see it as an icon on the screen.

I am currently running Windows XP SP3, I checked the cds that came with the enclosure and didnt find any drivers, you can view the enclosure at this link.

http://www.rocketfishproducts.com/p-66-roc...-enclosure.aspx

In advance, thank you for any help you can provide!!!

:thumbsup:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,264 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:41 AM

Posted 02 April 2009 - 03:39 PM

Hi :thumbsup:.

Is the drive formatted? A non-formatted drive will never show in My Computer/Explorer, but will be properly reflected in Device Manager and Disk Management.

Go to Disk Management (Start/Run...type diskmgmt.msc and hit Enter) and see if the drive is reflected there as unpartitioned, unformatted.

If it is, format it and upon completion of same, it will show up in My Computer/Explorer view.

You might also check whether you have to use FAT32 or NTFS with the enclosure...some are picky.

You might also check the jumper setting which may be required for the enclosure.

Louis

#3 Soul_Raven73

Soul_Raven73
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 12 April 2009 - 12:51 PM

The jumpers did the trick, now it works fine!! thank you for the help! One last question, if I have a HD that used to be in my pc, would I be able to go into my profile even thou I had a password in it?

thanks again for your help!

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,264 posts
  •  

Posted 12 April 2009 - 03:46 PM

I don't know what you mean...but I'll venture some opinions :thumbsup:.

What does a password have to do with accessing data from secondary hard drive? The password prevents access to any user...only when going in the front door...running that O/S.

If the drive is a secondary system on a drive with a different O/S partition...the password applying to O/S on the secondary drive...is immaterial.

Louis

#5 Soul_Raven73

Soul_Raven73
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 12 April 2009 - 08:00 PM

Thanks for the reply, the HD that is in the enclosure was the main HD for a pc that I had. When I go thru the Doc and Settings to my profile I get an error that Folder in inaccessible. I am able to go to other profile folders that are in the HD but not to mine.

I didn't know if the fact that I was the admin for the pc and my profile requires a password, that the same would apply now even thou the HD is now is in an enclosure.

thanks again for the help!

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,264 posts
  •  

Posted 12 April 2009 - 08:05 PM

That's a common situation, one that is easily overcome.

That normally happens in the situation you describe, where a drive was formerly used to boot XP and now the user/owner needs to remove files from it by attaching it as a secondary drive (where it is NOT the boot drive).

How to take ownership of a file or folder in Windows XP - http://support.microsoft.com/kb/308421

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users